From: "Steven Clift" <cl...@e-democracy.org>
Date: Apr 21, 2017 12:19 PM
Subject: Sunlight: How Smaller Cities Can Participate in the Open Data
Movement
To: <cl...@e-democracy.org>

Last week, I had the opportunity to showcase Sunlight’s latest research on
community engagement around open data <http://ift.tt/2na4Azk> at the Hometown
Summit <http://ift.tt/2octVdb> in Charlottesville, Virginia. The event
united local leaders, elected officials, practitioners, policymakers,
community organizers, and investors in small to mid-sized U.S. cities who
are working to find creative solutions for community problems at the local
level, for 3 days of sharing stories and strategies. Talking through the
barriers to community engagement faced by small cities — especially those
who wish to engage residents in using public data — provided us with some
meaningful insights into tactics for implementing open data programs in
communities with smaller populations and fewer resources.

[image: What Works Cities staff Matt Raifman (GovEx), Alyssa Doom
(Sunlight), Jenn Park (RfA), Elizabeth Linos (BIT) at the Hometown Summit.]

On the first day of the summit, I joined colleagues from the Center for
Government Excellence <https://govex.jhu.edu/>, the Behavioral Insights Team
<http://ift.tt/1e2Law3>, and Results for America <http://ift.tt/1GcYuC1> on
a panel highlighting the efforts of the What Works Cities Partnership
<http://ift.tt/2demhcg> over the past two years. Amongst a crowd of
innovators from small cities across the country, we found the perfect
opportunity to introduce the new What Works Cities <http://ift.tt/2demhcg>
Certification <http://ift.tt/2ouGQD2> initiative, <http://ift.tt/2ouGQD2> which
is like an ENERGY STAR rating for data-driven governance. This
certification program was created to celebrate U.S. cities that are paving
the way for the use of data and evidence to make governments more
effective. It expands upon the two years of work we’ve completed in an
important way: certification allows *smaller* cities — with populations as
little as 30,000 — to receive recognition for great work incorporating data
into the governance process.

We’re thrilled to have more cities join the conversation about opening
their data and engaging their communities. There’s a *lot* we can learn
from smaller communities.

Charlottesville, Virginia, for example, is partnering with local
organizations to host a Civic Innovation Day <http://ift.tt/2oZIWwh> in
June, where they plan to tap into the knowledge in their community by
inviting designers, technologists and any interested citizen to use their
talents to develop solutions to tackle community challenges.  A member of
the City Council of Lancaster, PA is working to help her community- which
collects tons of data-find low-cost solutions for hosting open data online.
Other small cities like Asheville, NC <http://ift.tt/2ocuGmJ> and Galveston,
TX <http://ift.tt/2oZxtgf> have also worked around resource constraints to
join the open data movement. We’re proud to help shine a light on the great
work that smaller cities are doing.
Smaller cities, bigger challenges?

Larger cities tend to have more civic tech groups, businesses, nonprofits,
academic institutions, and overall more residents to use their data.
Smaller cities, on the other hand, face relatively larger barriers creating
an active community around data to drive decision-making, spur innovation,
and make government more efficient, primarily due to a lack of resources to
establish programs internally, as well as fewer data users.

On the second day of the Summit, I participated in a panel about activating
citizen leadership and methods for empowering residents to shape the future
of cities. Sunlight is interested in discovering how communities can drive
public participation in using open data to identify and solve community
problems. We began this research several months ago, and have since
captured several of these strategies in our new Tactical Data Engagement
Guide <http://ift.tt/2nadjSb>.

[image: Miranda Bogen (Associate at Upturn), Alyssa Doom (Sunlight) and
Matthew Slaats (Creative Director at PauseLab) at "Activating Citizen
Leadership" panel.]

During this panel, I explained the many ways that the strategies in the TDE
guide are flexible and can be adapted to work for a city of any size. But
as the conversation continued, I began to further reflect on the challenges
faced by smaller cities seeking to demonstrate the public’s use and reuse
of public data —a key to measuring the success of a sustainable open data
program.

So, how can smaller cities overcome these barriers? Stay tuned for my piece
on strategies for open data engagement in small towns next week.

from Blog – Sunlight Foundation http://ift.tt/2pMX9iR
via IFTTT <http://ift.tt/1bODNcb>

――
View topic http://groups.dowire.org/r/topic/1nRd4f1Buzc9x9vNOyOqtP