From: "Ben Worthy" <b.wor...@bbk.ac.uk>
Date: Jun 19, 2017 9:51 AM
Subject: [opengovuk] New paper on 'Brexit and Open Government: 11 months of
May'
To: <opengo...@forum.opengovernment.org.uk>

Dear All, Dear All, Read my new paper on 'Brexit and Open Government: 11
months of May' free to access here https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/
papers.cfm?abstract_id=2988952 This paper examines how Brexit has
influenced the UK’s transparency regime and how,
Respond by replying above this line or visit http://forum.opengovernment.
org.uk/conversations/982
*Did you know…* Every group has its own events calendar
<http://forum.opengovernment.org.uk/groups/opengovuk/calendar>, and
opengovuk has 0 upcoming events.
Like this post
<http://forum.opengovernment.org.uk/conversation_posts/5947e4dffa32cf00dcbb5388/like>

Dear All,

Dear All,

Read my new paper on 'Brexit and Open Government: 11 months of May' free to
access here
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2988952

This paper examines how Brexit has influenced the UK’s transparency regime
and how, in turn, will openness shape the UK’s Brexit process. May’s
government will be seen as one that prized secrecy but conceded openness,
an object (and abject) lesson in how hard it is to keep government closed
in the 21st century. The May administration 2016-2017 is likely to be
remembered as a secretive one, headed by a Prime Minister that wished to
govern through confidentiality and closed networks. Though there were some
high profile openness policies they were inherited and proceeded slowly, if
at all.

Brexit reveals how badly the approach misfired. The government’s plan of no
‘running commentary’ and secrecy was undermined by the Supreme Court, the
UK Parliament and the EU Commission, who all forced greater transparency
and greatly limited May’s room for manoeuvre and concealment. The three
institutions, creating and using ‘institution friction’ to open up
government, also exposed the government’s lack of preparation and
undermined the UK’s credibility and leverage even before Brexit began.

Ben

Lecturer in Politics
Birkbeck College, University of London
Email: b.wor...@bbk.ac.uk
Tel: 02030738047
see http://www.bbk.ac.uk/politics/our-staff/academic/ben-worthy
<https://owa.bbk.ac.uk/owa/redir.aspx?SURL=5GLEZUVRC0tv5q62m_Dv1Bli0wNz5YwSKLUIA0go1-EKj9gOdiLTCGgAdAB0AHAAOgAvAC8AdwB3AHcALgBiAGIAawAuAGEAYwAuAHUAawAvAHAAbwBsAGkAdABpAGMAcwAvAG8AdQByAC0AcwB0AGEAZgBmAC8AYQBjAGEAZABlAG0AaQBjAC8AYgBlAG4ALQB3AG8AcgB0AGgAeQA.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.bbk.ac.uk%2fpolitics%2four-staff%2facademic%2fben-worthy>

View my research on my SSRN Author page:
http://ssrn.com/author=1897482
<https://owa.bbk.ac.uk/owa/redir.aspx?SURL=aUrB4fUBlypCCA3lursYmjBGAPavzpPUc7rPLHcGC3EKj9gOdiLTCGgAdAB0AHAAOgAvAC8AcwBzAHIAbgAuAGMAbwBtAC8AYQB1AHQAaABvAHIAPQAxADgAOQA3ADQAOAAyAA..&URL=http%3a%2f%2fssrn.com%2fauthor%3d1897482>

View my research blog:
http://opendatastudy.wordpress.com
<https://owa.bbk.ac.uk/owa/redir.aspx?SURL=VZ1thMY31njXir8jW55yEv_WGhBBHOx3JVKL3Sk_HDIKj9gOdiLTCGgAdAB0AHAAOgAvAC8AbwBwAGUAbgBkAGEAdABhAHMAdAB1AGQAeQAuAHcAbwByAGQAcAByAGUAcwBzAC4AYwBvAG0A&URL=http%3a%2f%2fopendatastudy.wordpress.com>

Ben Worthy (2017) *The Politics of Freedom of Information: How and why
governments pass laws that threaten their power*
<http://www.manchesteruniversitypress.co.uk/9780719097676/> is published by
Manchester University Press. You can read chapter 1 here
<http://d2yvuud5fila0c.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/02160419/Worthy-Chapter-1.pdf>
.
<http://forum.opengovernment.org.uk/accounts/56bc6f24b63b4b0012d3dbfd> Ben
Worthy