Source post:
http://po.st/mysocietydemcommons

Read mySociety's note to the end ... as a small .org (E-Democracy) squeezed
out by the big .org players grant funding wise as the pool has shrunk I
have views on this ... if the big dogs can't secure funding for democratic
services online that government's themselves remain unwilling to fund,
invest in adequately, continue to design poorly, etc. ... then Western
democracy as a whole in the digital age is over, dead, gone. China and
Russia won. Google and Facebook won. Division based advocacy and
campaigning for power online won. Democracy, that serves all and brings
together across our political and social divides, loses. It's dead, gone,
failed by our generation.

The hard truth is that we have a fundamental democratic data deficit - you
can't open up systematic data about who represents you, how and where to
interact with your, what meetings are coming up, what's on the agenda, etc.
if it doesn't exist at all levels of governance.

Over the years I've been bullish at times about the investments by Google
and now more recently Facebook in civic tech. Let's me honest, they need to
100x their investments in the infrastructure for digital democracy. They
could do this voluntarily and collaboratively where it makes sense OR
governments need to - like they did with television and radio generations
ago - figure out how to raise the resources for independent public
journalism to fund the democratic middleware and data we need to bring
authentic representative democracy to the people *local up* and everywhere
to counter the propaganda tsunami being pushed online by the most partisan
and now state actors like Russia that "win" by fundamentally dividing
people nation by nation.

While it would be great for the few remaining non-profits in the the
digital democracy space to get a fresh infusion of support. There is not a
100% market solution out of this problem. Our leading foundations in the
democracy space will get to decide if they want to let the current
champions yo die on the vine, lose all their legacy knowledge, and then in
a decade or two start from scratch once they realize how much they
sacrificed by funding the new shiny object rather than the core foundation
of what we all need to support democracy in the digital era.

Thanks,
Steven Clift
E-Democracy.org