Full of great info.

Click here if you're having problem viewing this email
<http://disasternet.activehosted.com/p_v.php?l=1&c=93&m=110&s=1da2b5d2b411187cec50fd3e155d371c>
Dear Steven,

The DisasterNet newsletter provides information on innovative projects and
research that leverage the power of information and technology for
disasters and resilience. I hope you enjoy the newsletter. Please let me
know if there is anything I can do to improve your experience!

Regards, Brandon Greenberg
Share the Newsletter in Your Network!
<http://disasternet.activehosted.com/social.php?c=93&m=110&s=1da2b5d2b411187cec50fd3e155d371c&ref=facebook>

<http://disasternet.activehosted.com/social.php?c=93&m=110&s=1da2b5d2b411187cec50fd3e155d371c&ref=twitter>

<http://disasternet.activehosted.com/social.php?c=93&m=110&s=1da2b5d2b411187cec50fd3e155d371c&ref=linkedin>

<http://disasternet.activehosted.com/social.php?c=93&m=110&s=1da2b5d2b411187cec50fd3e155d371c&ref=gplus>
The Weekly Roundup
Facebook wants you to check its new 'Crisis Response' feature when disaster
hits
<http://disasternet.acemlnc.com/lt.php?s=1da2b5d2b411187cec50fd3e155d371c&i=93A110A1A5067>
09/14/2017 00:00
Facebook's emergency response features now include much more than just
Safety Check. The social network introduced a new "Crisis Response" hub
that helps Facebook users learn about natural disasters, terrorist attacks,
and other events affecting people around the world.  SEE ALSO: Download
this: Why Facebook's app looks so different Think of the new Crisis
Response sections as a sort of upgraded version of the Safety Check tab
that was introduced last month. (The existing Safety Check section will be
updated to "Crisis Response" in the next few weeks.) The new tab provides
much more than just the tools and information associated with Facebook's
Safety Check feature. Read more...More about Tech, Facebook, Social Good,
Social Media, and Apps And Software
A Sneak Peek Into Facebook’s New Crisis Response Center
<http://disasternet.acemlnc.com/lt.php?s=1da2b5d2b411187cec50fd3e155d371c&i=93A110A1A5068>
09/15/2017 00:00
Facebook just launched a central platform for all crisis related content.
This is what it looks like.
Continuing to support hurricane relief efforts
<http://disasternet.acemlnc.com/lt.php?s=1da2b5d2b411187cec50fd3e155d371c&i=93A110A1A5069>
09/14/2017 00:00
Update: In less than 24 hours, together we raised $2 million for Hurricane
Irma relief and recovery. Thanks to your donations, we have met our
goal. However, the crisis isn’t over. Your contributions can still provide
critical relief to those in need. Although Google is no longer matching
donations, please consider giving directly to these
organizations. Hurricane Irma has impacted communities throughout the
Caribbean and the southeastern United States. Hitting the Caribbean islands
the hardest, Irma has left millions of people to rebuild in its wake.Today,
we’re kicking off a matching campaign to support relief and recovery
efforts for this deadly storm, part of our overall $5 million hurricane
relief effort this month.Google.org will be matching up to $1 million in
donations at https://www.google.org/irma-relief to support the Catholic
Relief Service (CRS), UNICEF, and the American Red Cross (ARC). Each of
these organizations is providing critical relief and recovery resources to
those in the affected regions:Catholic Relief Services is responding to the
most remote places across the Caribbean, fulfilling essential needs such as
food, water and shelter.UNICEF is on the ground supporting more than 2.8
million children, and their families, impacted across the Caribbean with
emergency supplies and temporary education solutions.American Red Cross is
the leading nonprofit responder in the Southeastern United States, Puerto
Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, working diligently to shelter, feed and
support families impacted by the storm. In the last two weeks, our total
donations include $3 million donated directly by Google.org, as well as $2
million raised so far from Google employees and public donations, for
relief efforts in the areas affected by Hurricanes Harvey and Irma. Crisis
Response and SOS AlertsEnsuring people have access to timely, official
information in a time of crisis is crucial. To help, ahead of the storm,
our Crisis Response team launched an SOS Alert in Search for the Caribbean,
Florida and Georgia in English, Spanish and Haitian Creole. Now, as people
across the region return to their homes and search for information about
Hurricane Irma, or related searches, they’ll see:Information on power
outagesEmergency information contactsCrisis maps in both English and
Spanish, providing people with the local news, road closures, tweets,
latest traffic and transit information, gas stations with crowdsourced fuel
status, and post-Irma satellite and aerial imagery from partners NOAA and
Digital Globe (e.g., Key West). We hope these features will help people
stay safe and informed—and we’ll continue to update with relevant resources
in the coming days.
A New Center for Crisis Response on Facebook
<http://disasternet.acemlnc.com/lt.php?s=1da2b5d2b411187cec50fd3e155d371c&i=93A110A1A5070>
09/14/2017 00:00
By Mike Nowak, Product Director, Social Good Today, we’re announcing Crisis
Response, a new center on Facebook where people can find more information
about recent crises and access our crisis response tools – including Safety
Check, Community Help and Fundraisers to support crisis recovery – all in
one place. As part of this update, we […]
Tech companies are redefining how we respond to natural disasters—in a good
way
<http://disasternet.acemlnc.com/lt.php?s=1da2b5d2b411187cec50fd3e155d371c&i=93A110A1A5071>
09/13/2017 10:42
A few days before Irma made landfall in Florida, Airbnb activated its
disaster response program in the region, encouraging hosts to list their
homes for free and inviting evacuees to seek shelter through its
peer-to-peer platform.
Zello tops US app store as the walkie-talkie for hurricane volunteers
<http://disasternet.acemlnc.com/lt.php?s=1da2b5d2b411187cec50fd3e155d371c&i=93A110A1A5072>
09/11/2017 22:58
With Hurricane Irma hitting Florida’s southern islands as a category four
storm, and more than 6.3 million being told to evacuate Florida, being able
to stay in contact with the outside world is a high priority.
Why social-media apps should be in your disaster kit
<http://disasternet.acemlnc.com/lt.php?s=1da2b5d2b411187cec50fd3e155d371c&i=93A110A1A5073>
09/11/2017 00:00
theconversation.com - A man carries a dog from a rescue boat as it
evacuates people from the rising waters of Buffalo Bayou, following
Hurricane Harvey in a neighborhood west of Houston, Texas, August 30, 2017.
Reuters/Ca…Tweeted by @CrisisSocMedia https://twitter.com/
CrisisSocMedia/status/906486458873253888
The Secret History of FEMA
<http://disasternet.acemlnc.com/lt.php?s=1da2b5d2b411187cec50fd3e155d371c&i=93A110A1A5074>
09/11/2017 00:00
govtech.com - The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is getting
plenty of press these days with Hurricane Harvey drenching Texas and now
Hurricane Irma bearing down on Florida and Miami. David Maack, who
h…Tweeted by @Eric_Holdeman https://twitter.com/Eric_Holdeman/status/
906226220680994816
S&T awards $8.6 million for enhancing security of mobile apps for the
government
<http://disasternet.acemlnc.com/lt.php?s=1da2b5d2b411187cec50fd3e155d371c&i=93A110A1A5075>
09/10/2017 00:00
9/10 R&D Enable IntenseDebate Comments:  Enable IntenseDebate Comments The
Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Science and Technology Directorate
(S&T) has awarded funding to five research and development (R&D) projects
that will enhance the secure use of mobile applications (apps) for the
federal government. read more
Disasters and Politics
<http://disasternet.acemlnc.com/lt.php?s=1da2b5d2b411187cec50fd3e155d371c&i=93A110A1A5076>
09/11/2017 00:00
govtech.com - I've listened to multiple accounts of how Hurricane Harvey is
going to change the political dynamics in Washington, D.C. It is likely the
"first priority has changed from passing a budget and extendi…Tweeted by
@Eric_Holdeman https://twitter.com/Eric_Holdeman/status/905196273799643136
Benue Flood: Emergency Camp Helpful
<http://disasternet.acemlnc.com/lt.php?s=1da2b5d2b411187cec50fd3e155d371c&i=93A110A1A5077>
09/11/2017 00:00
reliefweb.int - The Honourable Minister of Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole has
expressed satisfaction on the impressive response, operation and conduct of
the emergency medical treatment centre set up by the Federal Min…
In Natural Disasters, States Lend Each Other a Hand
<http://disasternet.acemlnc.com/lt.php?s=1da2b5d2b411187cec50fd3e155d371c&i=93A110A1A5078>
09/11/2017 00:00
pew.org - Air Force General Joseph Lengyel, chief, National Guard Bureau,
takes a call at the National Guard Coordination Center, Arlington, Virginia
while coordinating the National Guard response to Hurricane…Tweeted by
@AStaufferDC https://twitter.com/AStaufferDC/status/905459350126428160
How We Could Better Leverage Social Media During Disasters Like Harvey
<http://disasternet.acemlnc.com/lt.php?s=1da2b5d2b411187cec50fd3e155d371c&i=93A110A1A5079>
09/11/2017 00:00
huffingtonpost.com - Natural disasters are only expected to grow more
frequent in the coming years, thanks to climate change. And Hurricane
Harvey, the strongest storm to make landfall in the United States in nearly
a de…Tweeted by @katekaminska1 https://twitter.com/katekaminska1/status/
905768851178184704
Office of Emergency Management introduces new initiatives for flooding,
other emergencies
<http://disasternet.acemlnc.com/lt.php?s=1da2b5d2b411187cec50fd3e155d371c&i=93A110A1A5080>
09/11/2017 00:00
amarillo.com - The Amarillo/Potter/Randall Office of Emergency Management
unveiled two new initiatives to help Amarilloans stay safe in emergencies,
including a new phone application that can alert residents in spe…Tweeted
by @AmarilloOEM https://twitter.com/AmarilloOEM/status/905795571734241284
20170913 - Webinar - Disaster Recovery | Webinar Invitation | Hurricane
Recovery: Federal Procurement Guidelines for FEMA Aid Recipients
<http://disasternet.acemlnc.com/lt.php?s=1da2b5d2b411187cec50fd3e155d371c&i=93A110A1A5081>
09/11/2017 00:00
communications.bakerdonelson.com - As recovery efforts now begin to take
center stage, it is critical that public and non-profit entities impacted
by Hurricane Harvey take full advantage of the various federally funded
relief programs…Tweeted by @PolkWork https://twitter.com/PolkWork/
status/905861548631101441
When disaster strikes, make sure social media is in your emergency kit
<http://disasternet.acemlnc.com/lt.php?s=1da2b5d2b411187cec50fd3e155d371c&i=93A110A1A5082>
09/11/2017 00:00
cbsnews.com - You're crawling northward on Interstate 75 at the back end of
a long line of Miami escapees, anxiously checking the rearview mirror for
Hurricane Irma's storm clouds. Above is a lighted sign that say…Tweeted by
@disaster_dave https://twitter.com/disaster_dave/status/906155889064779777
Why social-media apps should be in your disaster kit
<http://disasternet.acemlnc.com/lt.php?s=1da2b5d2b411187cec50fd3e155d371c&i=93A110A1A5073>
09/11/2017 00:00
theconversation.com - A man carries a dog from a rescue boat as it
evacuates people from the rising waters of Buffalo Bayou, following
Hurricane Harvey in a neighborhood west of Houston, Texas, August 30, 2017.
Reuters/Ca…Tweeted by @CrisisSocMedia https://twitter.com/
CrisisSocMedia/status/906486458873253888
After Disaster Management - Little River Chamber of Commerce
<http://disasternet.acemlnc.com/lt.php?s=1da2b5d2b411187cec50fd3e155d371c&i=93A110A1A5083>
09/11/2017 00:00
littleriverchamber.org - The Little River Chamber of Commerce is part of
the Myrtle Beach Area Recovery Council whose mission is to restore in a
timely manner the area's tourism industry after a man-made or natural
disaster.…Tweeted by @LittleRiverCC https://twitter.com/
LittleRiverCC/status/906562947501236224
The Only Way to Build a Brand on Social Media is Through Trust - Ted Rubin,
Professional #KeynoteSpeaker, #RonR
<http://disasternet.acemlnc.com/lt.php?s=1da2b5d2b411187cec50fd3e155d371c&i=93A110A1A5084>
09/11/2017 00:00
tedrubin.com - If you’re marketing your small business, it’s important to
remember to build your personal brand along with your business’s brand.
There are several ways to do this—one is to make yourself the face
o…Tweeted by @chrisrasz https://twitter.com/chrisrasz/
status/906907182779711489
How an App You've Probably Never Heard of Helped Save Houston--and Could
Help Florida Next
<http://disasternet.acemlnc.com/lt.php?s=1da2b5d2b411187cec50fd3e155d371c&i=93A110A1A5085>
09/11/2017 00:00
inc.com