Reply to:
maya.zos...@gmail.com

An important query. - Steve

From: Myf Nixon <m...@mysociety.org>
Date: Mon, Sep 3, 2018, 3:16 AM
Subject: [mySociety-community] An app for refugees
To: mysociety-community <mysociety-commun...@mysociety.org>

Hi mySociety community! I've been asked to pass on this message to see if
there's anyone who could donate their time and dev skills to help refugees
in Lesbos.

Iā€™m a doctor who has spent some time in Lesbos in Greece working with
> refugees in a camp called Moria. Conditions are very poor with extreme
> overcrowding, violence and poor sanitation.
>
> However there are a number of grassroots NGOs (non governmental
> organisations, or charities) who run very creative projects that the
> residents of Moria can access and get involved with while they wait out
> their asylum process, which can take months to years.The projects improve
> their mental health, tackle isolation and help them to integrate.
>
> These people are resilient, resourceful and want to help themselves.
> Projects like these are incredibly important for them as they have fled
> war, violence and persecution and the conditions in the camp cause further
> deterioration in their mental health. From what I've seen their sense of
> hope is quickly diminishing.
>
> With the situation there being so chaotic, distributing information is
> difficult and many of the NGOs rely on word of mouth to advertise their
> projects. Most of the migrants have phones or access to someone who has a
> phone.
>
> *I want to create a centralised place (a website and eventually an app)
> where they can access all the information they need in order to empower
> themselves to survive while in the camp. * If anyone is interested in
> joining us we already have a small team - just e mail me and I can send
> across more info: maya.zos...@gmail.com this isn't a very complex project
> so I think we could probably get it up and running in the next few weeks. It
> would be perfect for someone looking for a small side project to work on in
> their own time (even if they can spare only a few hours, we would be very
> grateful).

If anyone thinks they might be able to help please contact the email
address given ( maya.zos...@gmail.com) directly - thanks!

Visit this group at
https://groups.google.com/a/mysociety.org/group/mysociety-community/.
https://groups.google.com/a/mysociety.org/d/msgid/mysociety-community/c0a11584-4b66-4d90-9730-d3da82d3b033%40mysociety.org