---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Steven Clift <cl...@e-democracy.org>
Date: Wed, Nov 7, 2018, 9:17 AM
Subject: mySociety: TICTeC Local: wrap-up report
To: <cl...@e-democracy.org>

The Federation <http://www.thefederation.coop/>, opposite the birthplace of
the Co-operative movement in Manchester, was an appropriate venue for TICTeC
Local <https://tictec.mysociety.org/local>. After all, we were all there to
discuss big, transformative ideas that could improve society.

Yesterday’s event — the first of its kind — brought together
representatives from the worlds of Civic Tech, local authorities, and
social impact organisations to discuss, in myriad ways, how citizens and
local government can work better together.

Whether you were there or not, this post will hopefully act as a useful
jumping-off point, with links to where you can find out more about each of
the speakers and the organisations they represent.

We’ll also share photos and the presentations themselves, soon — watch this
space.
Civic Tech and Local Gov: the evidence base

Dr Rebecca Rumbul is mySociety’s own Head of Research; she stressed the
need for research into the impacts of technology, citing examples where
projects have been used in ways that were totally different from what had
been planned. Our research to date can be found here
<https://research.mysociety.org/>.
Opening keynote: Fixing the plumbing

Paul Maltby <https://twitter.com/maltbyps>, Chief Digital Officer, Ministry
of Housing, Communities & Local Government
<https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-housing-communities-and-local-government>
(MHCLG), presented the several joined-up initiatives that his department
has introduced <https://mhclgdigital.blog.gov.uk/>, with a basic belief
that we need to ‘get the plumbing right’ before we can build more complex
tech for the future. From training senior managers in tech, to the Local
Digital Fund <https://localdigital.gov.uk/fund/>, they’re already seeing
tangible results. Paul also encouraged all who work within the sector to
sign up to the localgovdigital Slack channel
<https://localgovdigital.slack.com>.
Introducing Public Square

Michelle Brook <https://twitter.com/MLBrook> of the Democratic Society
<http://www.demsoc.org/> announced their collaboration with us, mySociety,
in a two-year action research project that will examine how to increase
citizen participation at the local government level: Public Square
<https://www.thepublicsquare.org.uk/>.

If you work within this sphere and are interested in getting involved, you
should:

– Sign up for the kick-off event on Nov 19th
<https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/public-square-looking-to-improve-local-democracy-tickets-51288895467>
in Manchester (and share it with others who might like to come);

;

– and get in touch for a talk on t...@thepublicsquare.org.uk, especially if
you are from a local council and would be interested in helping shape the
research.
FixMyStreet Pro: Better street reporting for citizens and councils

Andrea Bowes <http://twitter.com/Andybags> from Lincolnshire County Council
told such a positive story of the council’s experience in installing
FixMystreet Pro
<https://www.mysociety.org/2018/08/23/fixmystreet-for-lincolnshire-a-very-modern-way-of-working/>
that our ears were burning! It was great to hear how happy they were,
though, all summed up by her final statement: “Since it’s been installed,
no-one’s asked me a single question, which is the dream”.
Family Story: How technology can better support Children’s Services

Elle Tweedy <https://twitter.com/elletweedy> of Futuregov
<https://www.wearefuturegov.com/> presented the software they’ve developed
so that social workers can collaborate with families
<https://www.wearefuturegov.com/work/tri-borough-children-s-service>,
giving  everyone input into a totally transparent plan. Their hope is to
free social workers from the process-led software that sees them stuck in
front of a computer for 60% of their time, and to allow families to regain
ownership of their own story.
Council as a platform: Supporting the civics

Sarah Drummond <http://rufflemuffin.org> of Snook <https://wearesnook.com/>
showed how powerful first-person stories can be, when she told of
reclaiming a patch of land in front of her own block of flats as a garden.
Threatened with litigation by a faceless authority, she set about trying to
find out who owned the land… only to discover a seriously unjoined-up
system.
Revealing the hidden patterns in local democracy

An infographic which combines data on deprivation with the political party
in overall control for each authority
<https://medium.com/@opendatamcr/deprivation-vs-representation-building-a-dataset-eea715a87e25>
was the focus of the presentation by Julian Tait
<https://twitter.com/Julianlstar> and Jamie Whyte
<http://twitter.com/northernjamie> of Open Data Manchester
<http://www.opendatamanchester.org.uk/>. It shows that more deprived areas
are overwhelmingly Labour-controlled, while those under Conservative
councils are more affluent.
Cloud – is it just pie in the sky?

Helen Gerling <http://twitter.com/ModGovGerling> from Shaping Cloud
<https://shapingcloud.com> made the case for cloud technologies and how
they can benefit local councils (and us all) by preventing the enclosure of
data within centralised platforms. The challenge for authorities, she said,
is to respond to the changing demands and behaviours of citizens: but it’s
an opportunity, too.
Using tech and data to provide better support for new parents

Tayo Medupin <https://twitter.com/tmedupin> of Shift
<https://shiftdesign.org> presented Tip, which launched yesterday in closed
beta <http://shiftdesign.org/portfolio/tip/> and is a system to help people
through the first 1,000 days of parenthood. It’s based around a principle
of removing judgement, as that, they say, is one significant factor that
prevents parents from accessing services.
The citizen shift

Jon Alexander <https://twitter.com/jonjalex> from New Citizenship Project
<https://www.newcitizenship.org.uk/> argued that, through time, we’ve moved
from being subjects to consumers
<https://twitter.com/jonjalex/status/694852908182081537>. He reckons the
time is ripe for moving that on, so that we’re all citizens, and suggests
that the language we use will help shape the beliefs and actions of the
next generation.
Panel discussion: Reaching the furthest first

This discussion saw Eddie Copeland <https://twitter.com/EddieACopeland> (
Nesta <https://www.nesta.org.uk/>) chairing a panel with Beatrice Karol
Burks <https://twitter.com/beatricelucy> (Futuregov
<https://www.wearefuturegov.com/>), Dr Eloise Elliott-Taysom
<https://twitter.com/eloisetaysom> (IF <https://projectsbyif.com/>), Nick
Stanhope <https://twitter.com/nickstanhope> (Shift
<https://shiftdesign.org/>), and Steve Skelton
<https://twitter.com/steve1skelton> (Stockport Council) to explore the
ethical dimensions of what we do. Perhaps the most incisive comment was
that while we talk about the people that are ‘hardest to reach’, those
people may well see their governments as the ones that are far away.
The Consul project for citizen participation

Dramatic entrance of the day saw poor Jose Maria Becerra
<https://twitter.com/josembecerra> missing a flight but still managing to
make it on time! Thus we got to see his explanation of the Consul software
for citizen participation <http://www.consulproject.org/en/>, developed by
Madrid City Council, which allows residents to come up with ideas for
transforming their own communities.

“Have you heard of Boaty McBoatFace?” was one question from the audience.
“There’s no moderation of the proposals and we’ve found that citizens
always vote for reasonable ones“, replied Jose.
Panel discussion: Citizens or customers

Another insightful group took to the stage, this time to discuss the words
we use when talking about the people who use our services. Miranda Marcus
<https://twitter.com/roomarcus> (The Open Data Institute
<https://theodi.org/>) chaired the session, with Jose Maria Becerra
<https://twitter.com/josembecerra> (Consul Project
<http://www.consulproject.org/en/>), Jon Alexander
<https://twitter.com/jonjalex> (New Citizenship Project
<https://www.newcitizenship.org.uk/>), Carl Whistlecraft
<https://twitter.com/Gr8governance> (Kirklees Council) and Sarah Drummond
<http://rufflemuffin.org/> (Snook <https://wearesnook.com/>).

If we refer to people as consumers, they’ll behave as such; if we want genuine
dialogue and engagement, we have to invite it. Language can be the first
step, but it has, of course, to be backed up with action.
Closing keynote: The Deal

Alison McKenzie-Folan <https://twitter.com/AlisonMc_F> from Wigan Council
explained ‘The Deal
<https://twitter.com/jonjalex/status/1059841033096302592>’, a social
contract in which the council has made various promises in return for
citizens doing their bit. They’ve already saved millions of pounds. As
illustration, we all got to enjoy video clips of Ember encouraging folk to
recycle <https://twitter.com/wigancouncil/status/1040176666738405376?s=21>,
and Mary & Lily meeting rugby players
<https://twitter.com/jonjalex/status/1059843459887050752>.
Panel discussion: Making it happen

Before we all headed home, it was time for a hard-hearted look at how to
actually implement all the fine ideas we’d heard about during the day. Emer
Coleman <http://www.emercoleman.com/> (the Federation
<http://www.thefederation.coop/>) held to account Paul Maltby
<https://twitter.com/maltbyps> (MHCLG
<https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-housing-communities-and-local-government>),
Alison McKenzie-Folan <https://twitter.com/AlisonMc_F> (Wigan Council), Theo
Blackwell <https://twitter.com/LDN_CDO> (Chief Digital Officer for London),
and Phil Swan <https://twitter.com/phil_swan> (Greater Manchester Combined
Authority).

That the first step is data and data sharing, for the good of all, seemed
to be one consensus.

Finally, Linda O’Halloran <https://twitter.com/LindaSasta/> of MHCLG
<https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-housing-communities-and-local-government>
wrapped up the day with an overview of everything we’d heard and some
actions for those wanting to get involved
<https://twitter.com/LindaSasta/status/1059889787337932802> with the
department’s work around local digital.

—

*Many thanks to all who spoke, and listened, at TICTeC Local, making the
event a truly meaningful one.*

This was a brief rundown with just a few of the headline points. If you
were there, and we’ve missed any moment or statement that particularly
inspired, moved or provoked you, please do feel free to share it in the
comments below.

And if you want more, check the #TICTeCLocal hashtag
<https://twitter.com/hashtag/TicTecLocal>, where delegates and speakers
tweeted a wealth of ideas and links.

from mySociety https://ift.tt/2yX8foV
via IFTTT <https://ifttt.com/?ref=da&site=gmail>