---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Mozilla <mozi...@e.mozilla.org>
Date: Mon, Aug 26, 2019, 1:18 PM
Subject: Re: An important story about online manipulation.
To: <cl...@publicus.net>

Your chance to ask the important questions
[image: Mozilla]
<https://click.e.mozilla.org/?qs=5a96bcfaa5b06c1c97faeb170c84a2a54afcdd79c8c5be24d426bcd00ed92711a26beb9b631e81de24ac2acc87f23574b166b690dd1c4b38>

[image: How one teen boy got radicalized online and came out the other
side.]
<https://click.e.mozilla.org/?qs=5a96bcfaa5b06c1cb97f5145f536ab888a7b317259be14d8e40341dc9e59509ade463aa9b45558ce435af67ed196fcca61a2f10a1b780fa9>

Hi there, wanted to make sure you saw our message from last week. If you'd
like to ask a question of Sam or his Mom, please do submit those as soon as
possible
<https://click.e.mozilla.org/?qs=5a96bcfaa5b06c1c64b3a6f7a6cb61da4fca243ed09fe0680908565e5efcd6c445a1fab039a7c229c658144be362da4a2f2347d9f5aeffef>
— we'll gather the questions later today and share the responses with you
next week.

Submit Your Question(s)
<https://click.e.mozilla.org/?qs=5a96bcfaa5b06c1c98ca4dcdcac7d85b0d7720b6f24a3365d0cc1d8f06c23a616b0b5cf2d2521bad408f3338be33275eb1579ce1e5b57a89>

Thanks so much,

 – The Mozilla Team

*(Original message below)*
------------------------------

Journey From the Dark Side

How one teen boy got radicalized online and came out
the other side.

Read the Story
<https://click.e.mozilla.org/?qs=5a96bcfaa5b06c1c70ba14a9c28902f074592c791c5893310d4f5e5e7618c608ca6beb2b718de27faac537bc47c02fef2281eb4e4ade5273>

*"If Sam had been drawn into the alt-right, it was open season on any kid
with an internet connection."*

I recently came across a story that struck me hard. An anonymous Mom shared
the journey of her 13-year-old son who, lost in depression, became a prime
target for white supremacists online.

This essay struck me, in part, because it is a first-person account of a
story playing out in communities all over the world across a wide variety
of issues and ideologies. It also struck me because this story shows what
so many of the other stories didn't — a way out.

*What Happened After My 13-Year-Old Son Joined the Alt-Right
<https://click.e.mozilla.org/?qs=5a96bcfaa5b06c1cf07f83ae5f8a0a33a84b7e93b2193a0b123f8ed5e6090b497071dbbca0aee31c2c835124502da7f6248af99894964a27>*
– The Washingtonian

*"I began to see how white supremacists have been benefiting from what the
writer Carole Cadwalladr has called the 'circular knowledge economy' — how
search algorithms feed an internet so ravenous for content that facts are
optional."*

I'm sharing this Mom's story with you today because it is an important look
behind the curtain at the dark side of the internet.

*"But worse, I discovered how expertly extremists have leveraged the web to
prey on young people who are depressed. Search for the term 'depression' on
YouTube, and the professional-looking white supremacists lecturing on
self-empowerment might have you nodding in agreement, too."*

*Today, I am also sharing with you an amazing opportunity to ask this Mom
and her now 16-year-old son your own questions.* We were able to connect
with the Mother and son and asked if they would be willing to help educate
our Mozilla community further on the hard-earned lessons they learned
during this difficult time in their lives. They both agreed.

Read the story first.
<https://click.e.mozilla.org/?qs=5a96bcfaa5b06c1c45ee1b8a9dbd03d7b52cd6d614f0f7b23b8b1dbd8da9c3276dac671e102d216d5c28d2ac6763c418ee5fe9117f863147>
Then, think of what you would like to ask the Mom or her son, Sam. Please
be thoughtful and respectful with your questions. We are grateful to them
for giving our community the opportunity to learn from their difficult and
personal journey.

Submit Your Question(s)
<https://click.e.mozilla.org/?qs=5a96bcfaa5b06c1c5230000349528e0769ff3fd9ac12126bd3d5f75c6a65e55dc21560a90ba643151546d5088bef2682ad7de44d9811e47a>

We will share your questions with the family, and then share their

Thank you,

– Jen Caltrider
Mozilla

Connect with us
[image: YouTube]
<https://click.e.mozilla.org/?qs=5a96bcfaa5b06c1ce561e71c0e866a427f204dbe60dc1a75aa0a0ed55934a42a559b69db222d234c2afb6bf2364633aaaf551a1bf8066618>
[image:
Twitter]
<https://click.e.mozilla.org/?qs=5a96bcfaa5b06c1cd5d7a34f4f3d89a678b27f236e1cd97bba85cdbebf645c445b7da8736e5dd7577b0c88e046a9b5234d831dbb6b3f69ba>

*Thanks for reading!*
You're receiving this email because we think you’re neat, AND you
subscribed to hear from us. If our emails aren’t sparking joy, we’ll
understand if you unsubscribe.
<https://click.e.mozilla.org/?qs=5a96bcfaa5b06c1cae951b21cff37962804e413c1c097bc315307d1f628f9588432144c82a3663458c949b430a52fedf2836df9691762af2>

You can also update your email preferences
<https://click.e.mozilla.org/?qs=5a96bcfaa5b06c1cf8ca321cfb7c346e04f56d2d588ea89c6ad7e3dcfda4d6bff01f9071e38ec68402f61359f3a55d0e4b3643ed8f9ee80c>
at any time.

[image: Mozilla]
<https://click.e.mozilla.org/?qs=5a96bcfaa5b06c1c781086fe73e79541f1f374689c41af0ffc3fab6efef654b38723344ad776808696c5732994300280684cb2e8e1d18bad>
*Donate to Mozilla
<https://click.e.mozilla.org/?qs=5a96bcfaa5b06c1c3c45bc50e35b6f9231b70971520a9af4f6c4fbab7208f5b824967844fd0c49c28445a01f3ab9656bfce240da6f1590d6>*
  |   *Download Firefox
<https://click.e.mozilla.org/?qs=5a96bcfaa5b06c1ca8ae02e8002af68c38c2ad078c5e98173980c56bc14d56d8b333e657c0a23daa7defa65da7f47f96dfebb63601dc041a>*

331 E. Evelyn Avenue Mountain View CA 94041
Legal
<https://click.e.mozilla.org/?qs=5a96bcfaa5b06c1c9cd4539b8fea355d49478f33a992ec1e92c0a1916ecbf8306fd700b1804bedb4dd91b43ae900e0d4f02282996c250cf0>
• Privacy
<https://click.e.mozilla.org/?qs=5a96bcfaa5b06c1cb32d8e1f218b3a7a627d2bafe29bab3846e045dc8bd6e736c85cb9f5a5d2f814773c2345068655fa8d8c59fee23425b1>