Neu: 2002-05-02

Contents of this issue:

1. Beating The Rest

2. Fishing Venture

3. Air Service Priority

May 2nd, 2002

1. Beating The Rest:

Niue's new premier <a href="2002Election/thm_YoungViviani.jpg">Young
Vivian </a>(66) was tipped to get the top job weeks before the island's
10th general election. He gained backing from the Niue Peoples Party
caucus after a major rift developed with the previous premier Sani
Lakatani. Mr Vivian managed to fend off several strong challenges to his
leadership bid by lobbying with assembly independents resulting in the
downfall of <a href="2002Election/thm_SpeakerPosimani.jpg">Speaker Tama
Posimani</a> and the election of newcomer <a
href="2002Election/thm_SpeakerPosimani.jpg">Atapana Siakimotu</a>.

Mr Vivian was premier of Niue in 1992 - for three months following the
death of Niue's first leader Sir Robert Rex. He's been a supporter of
the Niue Peoples Party since its formation. A former teacher Mr Vivian
has been in politics since 1969 representing the village of Hakupu. From
1979 to 1982 Mr Vivian was secretary-general of the South Pacific
Commission based in Noumea. Mr Vivian will announce his three person
Cabinet on Friday.

Mr Lakatani's political future is far from being confined to the
backbenches, according to political observers on the island. A visibly
disappointed Mr Lakatani who was not nominated for the leaders job is
unlikely to lose much time planning a comeback.

2. Fishing Venture:

The Cook Islands fishing industry is set for a boost with the arrival of
the 33-meter (about 109-foot) Viking Spirit. The boat, which has a
capacity of 80 to 100 tons and its own blast freezing equipment, is
large enough to stay at sea for months at a time. It will offload most
of its fish catch in Pago Pago, American Samoa.The boat has been
chartered from New Zealand by Cook Islands Fishing. (Radio Australia).

3. Air Service Priority:

Niue's new leader Young Vivian has put a direct jet service from New
Zealand to the island on the top of his agenda. He says a dedicated
flight is necessary to improve the ailing tourist industry. The Premier
told Radio New Zealand International he will pursue talks with Air New
Zealand. "It's always been on our list we've been trying our very best
I'm looking at it to see if we can speed it up and have a look and get
something reasonable for Niue we have requested Air New Zealand and were
still waiting for their reply," said Mr Vivian. Elated after winning
Niue's top job Mr Vivian said the Peoples Party had produced results and
fulfilled their promises during the past three years and the voters had
recognised that in the last general election. Political commentators say
its likely requests for more aid from New Zealand are in the pipeline as
Mr Vivian's Niue Peoples Party promised increased pensions, child
allowances, sports grants, church grants and village council assistance
before the election. New Zealand provides $6.5m in annual assistance
through recurrent budget support and special project funding. The
commentators say the new government will face a budget blow-out as the
fiscal year ends in July Maintaining a living community will also be a
priority as island residents continue to migrate to Australia and New
Zealand. A Joint NZ/Niue Consultative Group meeting is scheduled for
Niue this month to discuss the island's future constitutional status,
revamping its current form of government and maintaining a sustainable
living community.

__END__