This is anecdotal. But each year I do an informal survey of the singing males
at New
Michigan State Forest in Pharsalia Chenango County, NY. I try very hard to not
recount birds
and I have been doing this almost yearly since 2009. This is a boreal like
forest...one of the
few you can find outside the Catskills and Adirondacks in the highlands of
central NY. This
year I found all typical boreal breeders to be as common as past years.
BLACKBURNIAN,
MAGNOLIA WARBLERS were most abundant like other years as well as tons of
OVENBIRDS.
My total numbers were a bit down but I did not have time to do a couple roads
that I did past years.
If I did these roads I have no doubt numbers who have been comparable to other
years. The
dawn chorus was very active. This is just one spot....so hard to make any
conclusions here.

I am assuming this is just this year for many of you? If so, it has to be
weather related.
If it is a gradual decline through the years...then one would think it could be
habitat
changes...possibly wintering grounds and/or breeding grounds??

Of course, if resident birds are not as common either as has been stated...is
there a
disease affecting birds???

let's hope they rebound. Quite spring/summer woodlands is just downright
depressing.