A quick observational browse through last night's recording data results in
these highlights:

4 Black-billed Cuckoos
2 Hooded Warblers
1 Black-and-white Warbler
2 Lincoln's/Swamp Sparrows

Nothing really Earth-shattering as far as rarity, but it was definitely an
active night.

Recently, I've been resting at night with a single earbud headphone plugged
into one ear in order to listen in on the general nighttime activity. Last
night, there were tons of calls from about 9pm through about 2am, then a
gradual tapering to only sporadic calls the rest of the night. The morning
thrush descent was very minimal at my location. There was one small descending
flock around 5:34am, which included some Rose-breasted Grosbeak calls. There
were some very distant thrush calls around 5:50-ish and a single close flyover
Rose-breasted Grosbeak calling around 6:05am, but everything was pretty much
shut down by 6:00am.

Thrush descent can be entirely hit-or-miss depending upon where the birds are
during migration, just before the start of morning civil twilight (today it was
at 6:10am).

I'd say that Rose-breasted Grosbeak was the species that dominated the night,
followed by Swainson's Thrush. Early in the night, there was also a good
passage of Green Herons. Throughout the night there were several Chestnut-sided
Warblers.

After listening to the recent nights' migrations, I have been wondering about
vocal activity vs actual birds in flight. Early in the night, birds are calling
– seemingly everywhere. By the latter part of the night migration, vocal
activity seriously drops off.

Why is this? I mean, even after a very quiet latter 3 1/2 hours, we can have a
surprisingly actively vocal thrush descent. What is the theory for decreased
contact/NFC calls as the night wears on? Are they all established in their
individual flight patterns in the sky? Are they conserving energy by not
vocalizing? Is there a relationship between very cold nights and decreased
calling rates vs warm nights and consistent calling rates? If birds were
descending earlier in the night we should observe decreased target density on
RADAR; however, as Dave Nicosia mentioned, RADAR was still displaying active
targets in the air as of 6am at our local station (BGM). Is there a generally
accepted theory for decreased vocal activity into the night?

It has been fascinating to listen to and observe the gradual exodus of
neotropical and other migrants from northern North America.

Thanks for any insight and good night-listening!

Sincerely,
Chris T-H

--
Christopher T. Tessaglia-Hymes