Jesse,

The NEXRAD network of radars are similar in design and therefore detect birds similarly. The radars out west have much more limited views of migration because the topography leads to partial or complete blockage of the radar beam or the radars are sited at high elevations so the beam is too high to detect migrating birds. So your suspicion of poor radar effectiveness is the major culprit. Some of the eastern radars have similar issues (e.g., Burlington Vermont radar comes to mind) but luckily the Appalachian mountains are a lot older (smoother topography) than the Rockies and don't block radar beams quite as much.

However, there are also fewer birds migrating through the Rockies - though I don't know of a study that has really tried to quantify this in a rigorous way. Less biomass leads to lower radar reflectivity. So the migrations through the Rockies appear less dramatic in relation to the eastern US.

Best,
Jeff