-----Original Message-----
 From: pjdeye <pjd...@aol.com>
 To: cth4 <c...@cornell.edu>; nfc-l <nfc-l@cornell.edu>
 Sent: Wed, Sep 25, 2013 4:02 pm
 Subject: Re: [nfc-l] Migration 9/23-9/24 - HF Gray-cheeks

Hi Chris,

I'd like to open up a discussion on Bicknell's Thrush calls. There was a
discussion on xeno-canto recently in which there was some questioning of the
validity of the nocturnal calls as there is so much variability and overlap
between Gray-cheeked and Bicknell's daytime calls, more recordings of which are
now available. That not withstanding, I have yet to see a daytime recording of
a known Gray-cheeked that matches the Bicknell's nocturnal call. Isn't it
likely that the Bicknell's call is only one of many different calls Bicknell's
make at night, but perhaps the only one that is definitive? Or perhaps it's a
call that Bicknell's uses more than Gray-cheeked ie there is a quantitative
difference in their calls? There was also a suggestion that perhaps they are
not truly separate species (so perhaps all this is moot).

I recorded several calls last night that match Bicknell's quite well. These are
the first calls I've recorded so far this season that have that appearance, and
were several different birds. All others (100s) going back to September 15th
had been typical lower frequency "buffalo-humped" Gray-cheeked. To me, this
suggests that there is a certain defined population that gives this less common
call.

Paul Driver
Elkins Park PA

ARCHIVES: