Ted that is a really nice article.  I do think you missed a cheap option.

Namely a $60 digital recorder with a $50 microphone and a "dish".  I would
bet this out performs a handheld recorder with the amplification.

During spring migration I will walk around with this setup and earphones
and I pickup more than I do by ear alone.

For night flight I leave this outside without worry of the microphone
getting wet (I put the recorder in a plastic bag).

All for not much more than a 100 bucks.

https://m.soundcloud.com/user3781125/pileated1

Sincerely,
Andrew Albright

On Friday, July 11, 2014, Ted Floyd <tfl...@aba.org> wrote:

> Hi, everybody.
>
> I recently posted an online review of various microphones for recording
> bird vocalizations. Flight calls per se aren't really my focus in the
> review, but several of the microphones I discuss (especially the
> directional, shotgun-style Olympus LS-10) are fine for flight calls--as
> long as you're actually out there with the recorder.
>
> Here goes:
>
> http://blog.aba.org/2014/07/how-to-record-birdsong-1.html
>
> Ted Floyd
>
> Lafayette, Boulder County, Colorado, USA
>  --
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
> <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NFC-L_SubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>
> *Archives:*