Andrew,

I'm not aware of any widely-agreed-upon list. Together with my graduate
student Claire Sanders, I recently published a paper in *Condor:
Ornithological Advances* where we compared NFC monitoring to banding data
in eastern Lake Erie:
Acoustic monitoring of nocturnally migrating birds accurately assesses the
timing and magnitude of migration through the Great Lakes by Claire E.
Sanders and Daniel J. Mennill
In comparison to banding data, we show that NFC recordings accurately
predict the timing and the magnitude of migration.  As part of that study,
we developed a list of NFC that are unique.  There is an online supplement
to the paper, including a list of the birds that we assigned to a
"bioacoustic category" (multiple species with similar calls), and a list of
birds that we considered unique.  We included many spectrograms in that
supplement.  You can find the paper and the supplement on the journal
*Condor*'s website (http://www.aoucospubs.org/toc/cond/116/3).  I'd be
happy to share my personal copy with people if they can't access *Condor*.

I'm curious to know if there are other lists.  I'm also interested in
whether other people have developed the capacity to distinguish between
some of the species that Claire and I grouped together into bioacoustic
categories.

Dan

Dan Mennill
Associate Professor
Faculty of Science Research Chair in Environment and Ecosystems
Department of Biological Sciences
University of Windsor
Email: dmenn...@uwindsor.ca
Web: www.uwindsor.ca/dmennill <http://www.uwindsor.ca/dmennill>

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 9:58 AM, Andrew Albright <andrew.albri...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Is there an agree-upon list of NFC that are unique? I.e. There is little
> or no overlap with other species so that when you hear this call you can be
> reasonably certain what species.
>

> --
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
> <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NFC-L_SubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>