Hi night-listeners,

I'm slowly picking my way through a couple of recording sessions from about a week ago, done from a very quiet wooded cove anchorage on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.

I have one occurrence of one call that is stumping me. I'm a novice at this, so would like some expert opinions.

What I'm seeing here is the "lightning bolt" pattern. The Evans and O'Brien CD talks about Lark Sparrow having a "irregular squiggle in the middle" and having quite a bit of variation in the placement of the other component (such as across the top, forming a "T").

Could this be a Lark Sparrow? (A handful were reported from the region on eBird.) Or is it something really simple and obvious that I'm missing in my beginner's hunt-and-peck search of the CD?

So far in the rest of the recording I've picked out American Redstart, Northern Parula, Palm Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, and Chipping Sparrow.

It's fun to be on the really steep part of the learning curve!

Diana Doyle
Recording from m/v Semi-Local
Annapolis, Maryland