On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 10:14 PM, Debbie Leick <dle...@mpgranch.com> wrote:

> Hi Ted,
> That is a nice recording! I have no idea what the call is. Grebe-ish
> popped into my head.

You got it!

Or, at least, I think you do.

Am pretty sure it's a Western Grebe. I've heard this call from Western
Grebes in flight, and, perhaps more to the point, I was recording at a lake
with a couple Western Grebes.

Hey, folks, while I have your attention, I thought I'd bring your attention
to an aberrant White-crowned Sparrow flight call:

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/70518311

It's okay--really, it is!--for birds to give flight calls that deviate
somewhat to hugely from normal. I'm as big a fan as anybody of the idea
that many birds can be ID'd by their flight calls; but I'm also
increasingly struck by how many flight calls aren't quite right.

Ted Floyd
Lafayette, Boulder County, Colorado, USA

Welcome and Basics � http://www.northeastbirding.com/NFC_WELCOME
Rules and Information � http://www.northeastbirding.com/NFC_RULES

Please submit your observations to eBird! ��http://ebird.org/content/ebird/