-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: Wind farm/bird collision solution in Texas
Date:   Sun, 3 May 2009 12:39:00 -0400
From:   Bill Evans <wrev...@clarityconnect.com>
To:     John and Sue Gregoire <k...@empacc.net>, <cayugabird...@cornell.edu>

I should add that among the numerous acts of misinformation in the article
that John cited is the estimate that only "7000 birds" are killed a year by
wind turbines in the US. Anyone can do a little research on the web to
debunk this.

We are approaching 30,000 wind turbines in the US now and we have about 500
in New York. A bird and bat fatality study at the ~200-turbine Maple Ridge
wind project on the Tug Hill Plateau in northern NY estimated that project
alone killed ~2000 birds in only a 5 month period from July through November
2006 [I am happy to send anyone the study].

The current number of birds killed at US wind turbines per year is difficult
to estimate because Texas, with 10,000+ turbines, has not yet produced a
credible fatality study. But estimates I've seen that are widely accepted
put the figure at more than an order of magnitude higher than 7000 and
growing rapidly. Whoever wrote the article John cited did not do there
research.

Bill Evans