Hi All,

Jim Danzenbaker from Battle Ground, Clark County, (southwestern) Washington
State, USA here.

First, I want to thank all the folks who have been posting to this listserve
- such a wealth of information on Night Flights in one place is exciting and
its great to hear about night flights in different parts of the country and
the world.  I feel that any question about night flights, if not answered
immediately, is certainly open for discussion among those more knowledgeable
than me.

Visiting birder Ann Nightingale from Victoria, BC, Canada and I had about
875 SWAINSON'S THRUSHes flying over my yard in Battle Ground, Clark County
from about 5:15am through 5:50am on September 1st.  This number was
determined based on 100 calls per minute times 35 minutes divided by 4
(total number of calls heard from one individual bird flying over earlier in
the night - from extreme northern end of hearing to extreme southern end of
hearing).

My questions are:

1.) Has anyone determined if nocturnal migrants call at the same rate
throughout their entire night flight or do they call more (or less) when
descending?

2.) Should it be assumed that when birds are descending at the end of their
night flight, they are continuing in their migratory direction at the same
rate as the previous hours of their flight or is their rate of descent
significantly reducing their forward progress?  I ask because of my
calculation of the number of birds on September 1st.  A bird flying over in
the middle of the night that has four audible "chips" could have five
audible chips when descending by actually "chipping" at the same rate?  Does
anybody know?
 Thanks.
--
Jim Danzenbaker