Dear all,
   thanks for all the input, references and answers. Yes, it is indeed quite
clear in real life when night ends and it is good to see that the formal limits
agree. In my parts of the country the first sign of the night getting to an end
is a 1 hour chorus of pygmy owls, followed by (the proper) Robins and
blackbirds. Around the start of blackbirds calls is where my local night
appears to end. This is some 45 minutes before sunrise (twilight is somewhat
longer at 60degN than say at 40degN).

This definition is potentially problematic in late May when the last arctic
migrants head for the tundra - there is almost no "proper night" at that time
here. And slightly off the migration topic. This past June/July we
intentionally birded in Lapland (70degN) with my son at "night time" because of
lower levels of background noise for recording. Despite of the midnight Sun
being above the horizon we were impressed how most of the birds were completely
silent (slept) for the "darkest" 3-4 hours.

Thanks for the discussion

Harry Lehto
Finland
hle...@utu.fi