Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback from all of you that responded on the list and
privately! Some of you were wondering when specifically I listened, well,
last night between 2- 2:30am and then again 5-6am, however I think it was
too breezy here and I did not hear anything at all. But the night before
when there was some calling activity I listened some at about 3am and then
heard mostly shorebirds plus some unknown spp. I then listened between about
5:30 and and 6:30 am, it was still dark out, have not civil twilight was
6:50. I heard most of the calling in this period. Some calls were either
Song or Mistle Thrush not sure which, I am wondering now if they really move
nocturnally much at all though. From my observations of both species the
last several days, in habit they seem very similar to our American Robin,
which will sometimes move pre-dawn, most of the time they move early am
though and will vocalize heavily sometimes in the hour before sunrise. The
vocalizations I heard were similar to song/mistle flight notes I heard while
observing these spp. here the last several mornings. The Willow Warbler ID
was purely a guess, but it sounded virtually identical to the call I heard
in the field that day and was fairly close overhead. A single rising
"tuwee", but as I found out today Chiffchaff have a similar call to this too
which they do give in flight. I was also curious about this as I had heard
sylvids did not call at all at night, and it could be that the call I heard
was from some other species all together that I am not familiar with. Much
to learn for sure, that is why I am so excited to be here and have the
opportunity to listen a bit while I am here! I did not get any recordings
yet as I failed to bring the right UK converter for my computer, but I got
one today! I will be traveling to Scotland tomorrow for about 5 days before
working my way over to the Swiss/Italian alps to do some recording in
mountain passes there, should be interesting! I will let all of you know
what I find/record. I would be interested to hear more from others with
there observation over here too!

On a side note, I noticed over here there seems not to be very good radar
coverage. It could just be that I am not finding the right sites though, but
I was looking for just simple reflectivity to gauge migration intensity vs
what I was hearing. Is there doppler radar in Europe?

Talk to you all soon,
Mike

Michael Lanzone
Biotechnology and Biomonitoring Lab Supervisor
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Powdermill Avian Research Center
1847 Route 381
Rector, PA 15677