Hi all,

I got a lot of questions about the Blue Icicle. Sorry I should have
explained what it was! It is a mic preamp that is powered via the USB
voltage (5v). It is nice as when mounted close to the microphone it reduced
the noise in the line caused by a long run of an unbalanced XLR or other mic
cable. The evans style mic works great, but it is also unbalanced, for a lot
of my setups I have no issues at all, however there are some that are near
radio stations or simply get the hum in the line. By using this mic preamp
and running a 25ft USB cable from the icicle (housed in a waterproof housing
in the bucket) to the computer It completely eliminates the noise. The only
downside to this mic is you need to adjust the gain before you put up the
bucket as it is on the icicle. I simply adjust it about 3/4 of the way up
and then adjust the volume on the computers mic input to fine tune. I also
use this mic now in autonomous recording units, and it has worked well.
Here is a link to the Blue Icicle-
http://www.buy.com/prod/icicle-xlr-to-usb-converter/q/listingid/52757425/loc/101/208972092.html

Best,
Mike

Michael Lanzone
Biotechnology and Biomonitoring Lab Supervisor
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Powdermill Avian Research Center
1847 Route 381
Rector, PA 15677