Jim,
Thanks for raising the flag about the Tribute in Light Memorial. New
York City Audubon will be monitoring the beams tomorrow night (Sept.
11), as we have every year since 2006.
I'm not sure what confusion you are talking about. There were a lot of
low-flying birds last year. We were able to have the lights turned off
5 times during the course of the evening, based on our bird counts and
observations.
Last year we worked directly with Andrew Farnsworth, to set up a NFR
on the roof and got some amazing calls - and data about light and
calling.
We plan to collect the same data this year.

thanks!
Susan
Susan B. Elbin, Ph.D.
Board Chair, Ornithological Council

Director of Conservation and Science
New York City Audubon
71 West 23rd St.
New York, NY 10010
phone: 212-691-7483
fax: 212-924-3870
www.nycaudubon.org

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Jim Tate <j...@tate-tate.us> wrote:
> The constant rain of the last week has let up and it appears birds are
> moving again.  Does anyone know if they are planning twin spotlights tonight
> at the site of the twin towers?  I would not care to see a repeat of last
> fall's confusion.    -TATE
>
> James Tate, Jr., Ph.D. | Research Associate |
> Smithsonian Institution Migratory Bird Center |
> National Zoological Park |
> T 202-841-2056 | Email j...@tate-tate.us
>
> James Tate, Jr. | Senior Fellow and Director |
> Ecological Economics and Ethics Program |
> Potomac Institute for Policy Studies |
> Ballston Metro Center Office Tower |
> 901 N. Stuart Street, Suite 200, Arlington, VA 22203
> Washington, DC 20007
> T 202-841-2056| Email: jt...@potomacinstitute.org
>

> --
> Welcome and Basics