Bill, Caleb, Michael and list,

Thanks for your responses. It's good to have some support and know that I'm not
imagining things! From the European point of view, I can confirm that nothing
sounds quite like an Upland here. The Collins Guide suggests two similar
sounds, female Common Cuckoo and Little Grebe.

Female cuckoos have a bubbling call similar to much longer Upland Sandpiper
calls in recordings I've heard from the breeding grounds, not the short
three-note type Upland apparently give during migration. I've never heard a
female cuckoo giving a three-note call (ten or more notes would be more
normal).The last cuckoo I saw was in early August at which time they usually
seem to be silent. I've never heard one in late summer or autumn, except for
the occasional late begging juvenile which sounds very different. Has anybody
else? And what about North American cuckoos, do they call in autumn as well as
spring? Almost all Common Cuckoos would have been well south of the Sahara when
I recorded the call.

As for Little Grebe, the overall frequency pattern is similar, with two higher
notes followed by a lower, quieter one, but the individual notes are not
sharply rising in pitch as in Upland. The call in question is not the flight
call of Little Grebe, and there is no water body near here that they could have
been calling from. It is the only grebe species I have heard during night
flights, but at such times they give a totally different, Whimbrel-like call
preceded by a few tiny, high-pitched notes.

So based on the very strong likeness to Upland Sandpiper and the lack of any
other species that sound truly similar, I think I can rest assured that that's
what it was. Incidentally, it's not the first time a rarity has flown over my
mics at night. Last October on the island of Berlenga I recorded something at
night that had me really stumped. I made a mental note to listen to it again
later and remembered to do so two nights later. The penny dropped immediately
when I heard it again, because the morning after making the recording I had
found a Blyth's Pipit from Mongolia/eastern Siberia on the island (the furthest
west ever recorded), and that was exactly how it sounded!

If anyone has ideas of detection software for Mac I'd still be very interested
to know. I haven't been recording every night as I'd like to because it would
take me forever to listen to everything. Conditions look good for tonight and I
got to the end of the last recording so I'll try again...

all the best,

Magnus Robb

p.s. Bill and Caleb, as Michael noted the call I recorded does actually have a
third, much quieter and lower note.

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/nfc-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NFC-L