Hi Andy, you are certainly not the only one with a 'mystery call' file. I
record a high percentage of mystery calls here in Portugal. Many of them seem
to be one-offs, calls that I never recorded before and perhaps never will
again. One possibility is that they are species that very rarely give a night
flight call, and don't use the same call by day. More likely, they are unusual
variant calls of species that often call at night. When I think I have solved
some of these mysteries, that's almost invariably what they seem to be. Others
may not be birds at all. Black Rats unfortunately have a large repertoire of
vaguely bird-like sounds, for example...

Regarding your two mystery sounds, I'm certainly not the best person to comment
being a European, and I'm not sure about either of them! However, the first
sounds to me like a medium to large ungulate or other mammal. I don't know
what's possible in your area. The second one doesn't ring any bell for me but
that's hardly surprising. Somebody who lives a bit closer may be able to help.

all the best,

Magnus Robb

On 25 Sep 2011, at 17:42:50, Andy Martin wrote:

> Attached are 2 calls I'm having a bit of trouble with.
>
> First one recorded on 4-16-10 after 3 AM, sounds so familiar but I just
> cannot place it. Feel like I have heard it somewhere before. Almost like
> when someone's name is stuck on the tip of your tongue and your brain just
> can't produce it. Tried to match it up to Great Blue Heron or possibly Great
> Horned Owl "harnk" call but none of variations of these calls sounded right.
> Not even sure if the GHO "harnk" call is given in flight and recorded call
> does sound as if its coming closer to the mic.
>
> 2nd call recorded on 3-27-07 around 11:20 PM, is just a single "burp like"
> bark. Seemingly different than usual herons at this time of year for my
> location (Great Blue or American Bittern). Is it possible this might be a
> Hooded Merganser?
>
> After 4-5 years of recording, hope I am not the only NFC enthusiast with a
> folder on my computer entitled "mystery calls" that seems to get a little
> bit bigger each year. On a positive note, while recently going through my
> mystery call folder, found and ID'ed a couple recordings of Yellow-crowned
> Night-Heron and a Virginia Rail.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Andy Martin
> Gaithersburg, MD
> www.nightmigrants.com
> --
> Welcome and Basics
> Rules and Information
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
> Archives:
> The Mail Archive
> Surfbirds
> BirdingOnThe.Net
> --
> <041610,341AMver2.wav><032707,1121PM.wav>

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/nfc-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NFC-L