Jim,

>From an Eastern perspective, I¹m curious (ok really interested!) to know the
call Varied Thrush use at night, and/or how you¹re identifying them?

I also add a hearty thanks to everyone sharing their experience of flight
calls to the list, especially if/when supported with clips etc. It¹s always
enlightening!

Thanks,

Gerard

Eastern Ontario

On 10/6/11 9:00 PM, "Jim Danzenbaker" <jdanzenba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nocturnal flight enthusiasts,
>
> I live in Battle Ground, Washington which is 20 miles due north of Portland,
> Oregon.  I've been listening for about 6 years - mostly Swainson's Thrushes
> which can number in the thousands on some nights in September.  I was
> listening from 5:45-7 this morning and had a good variety although not many
> individuals:
>
> Varied Thrush 21*
> Hermit Thrush 1
> Swainson's Thrush 3
> Zonotrichia 1
> Song Sparrow 1
> Yellow-rumped Warbler 1
> misc chips 8
>
> * this is only the third time I've heard nocturnal migrant Varied Thrushes and
> only single birds on the other two occasions.
>
> Conditions were overcast with calm winds which was a big change from the south
> winds and rainy conditions of the last several nights.
>
> Jim

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/nfc-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NFC-L