I have heard Hermit Thrush give a call like that, interestingly I have also
heard Gray-cheeked, Swainsons, and Veery give an alternate "flight" call
note. These notes sounds a bit harsher and blurry or jumbled in quality, if
that makes sense. At least Swainson's and Gray-cheeked have more than one
call variation like this. I first heard these calls while I had them in the
hand while I was recording flight calls in captivity at Powdermill (Auk
126-3: 511-519). I could never get them to make the calls while in the cone
for a recording, always while I had them in the hand transferring them to
the cone. Swainson's calls almost sounds like a "grrring" sound added to the
calls and a bit shorter. Ethan, what you posted sounds very much like what I
have heard form Veerys. Bill Cohran has recorded the other call I have heard
from Swainson's I think, he told me he had one when I described the call to
him. I have since heard all these calls at night, without having hearing
them beforehand I would not have know what they were, although I have since
heard calls similar to a few of these on the breeding grounds, so I bet they
would be in the Macaulay Library if someone had the time to look there!

Michael Lanzone
mlanz...@gmail.com

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/nfc-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html