I was just going through some recordings I made on 22 February this year, and I
came across a NFC that I think could be a Black-necked Grebe. It was recorded
from a village about 2km from Lake Kerkini in Greece, where the species is
common in winter. In the amplified recording, you can hear a rising whistle
with short unmodulated notes one before and one after, at different pitches. To
me the second and third notes in particular sound very similar to Black-necked
Grebe, but I've never heard anybody mention this species having NFCs.

For what it's worth, we have a grebe in Europe that regularly calls in flight -
the Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis). I already recorded it about four
times this spring. So I do think that the potential exists for a Black-necked
Grebe flight call. Has anyone else recorded something like this?

cheers,

Magnus Robb

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/nfc-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html