Bill and others interested,

Here is a PDF reprint of a paper from the Auk (Vol. 126, Number 3) that shows Red-faced and Graces flight-calls Andrew and I recorded several years back.

Best,
Mike

Michael Lanzone
Somerset, PA

Nice flight across the Mexican–Arizona border region last night. It always amazes me how late spring migrants are crossing the border in the west (and probably the east as well). I recall camping along the border in Cabeza Prieta NWR back in ~1997 and hearing a steady flight of Swainson’s Thrush on several nights in early June. What’s intriguing to me about last night’s flight is the variation in bandwidth of the “zeep” notes.  As far as I know, Yellow Warbler is the only migrant small passerine in the west that gives a classic zeep flight note. The psychedelic warbler flight call poster that Andy Farnsworth put together back in 2006 tends to support this, though the Painted Redstart call portrayed is suggestive of a zeep. Not shown in that poster are the flight calls of Grace’s and Red-faced Warblers, but my recollection on hearing flight notes from those species back in the early 90s is that they give high thin notes and not zeeps.

The flight calls from Ajo, AZ last night can be downloaded from oldbird.org and viewed with GlassOfire or Raven.

Bill E