[This is a repeat of an earlier post that nobody replied to. I just remembered
that the species in question has a different name in North America. So I though
it was worth having another go]

I was just going through some recordings I made on 22 February this year, and I
came across a NFC that I think could be a Eared Grebe. It was recorded from a
village about 2km from Lake Kerkini in Greece, where the species is common in
winter. In the amplified recording, you can hear a short rising whistle with
short unmodulated notes before and after, at different pitches. To me the
second and third notes in particular sound very similar to Eared Grebe, but
I've never heard anybody mention this species having NFCs.

For what it's worth, we have a grebe in Europe that regularly calls in flight -
the Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis). I already recorded it about four
times this spring. So I do think that the potential exists for a Eared Grebe
flight call. Has anyone else recorded something like this?

I am also very interested to know about any known or suspected NFCs of Horned
(Slavonian) and Red-necked Grebe.

cheers,

Magnus Robb

ARCHIVES: