Night flight enthusiasts:

I've finally started detecting night flights over my yard in Battle Ground,
Clark County, southwest Washington State (just north of Portland, OR).
Saturday morning had 45 notes per minute for 30 minutes - all Swainson's
Thrushes. Given that each thrush will "urp" maybe three times within
auduble distance of me (an observation I made in previous years), I
estimated 450 individuals. Not so consistent this morning (Sunday) with
listening from 5:25-5:45. Some minutes were 60 urps per minute and others
as low as 2 urps.  I usually have a fairly consistent Swainson's Thrush
migration from about August 25 through the end of September with a
scattering of warblers, sparrows, buntings, etc.  I don't use a recording
device or sonogram reading/analysis software.....yet.  If I did, I might be
able to shed more light on what's happening out here!
Keep your eyes and ears skyward.

Jim
--
Jim Danzenbaker