From: bounce-75469066-28417...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-75469066-28417...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Andrew
Farnsworth
Sent: March 7, 2013 13:40
To: nf...@list.cornell.edu; Matthew Sarver; Magnus Robb; W. Douglas Robinson;
Laurent Fournier; Rob Fergus
Subject: Re:[nfc-l] NFC Protocol - more

Let me try this again, I am not sure it went through . . .

Best,

AF

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Andrew Farnsworth <a...@cornell.edu> wrote:

Hi John and all,

Thank you for bringing these points to the group, much appreciated.

First, yes, there is an error (now corrected) - astronomical twilight should
reference the sun's position 18 degrees below the horizon. Apologies for my
poor editing skills! For reference, civil twilight is the sun's position 6
degrees below horizon, nautical twilight 12 degrees, astronomical twilight 18
degrees.

Second, regarding the choice of astronomical twilight as opposed to the more
typical civil twilight that many use for recording flight calls, we were/are
concerned about this issue.  We spent a long time thinking about it (again)
after you raised the point, and it is complicated in many ways (that's a topic
for outside the NFC list serve presumably). In the end, we decided that it is
preferred to enter NFC Count Protocol data in the period between astronomical
twilights but it is OK to enter NFC Count Protocol beginning from civil dusk
and concluding with civil dawn. However, please follow all the instructions
outlined in the protocol (for example, make sure to report all other
non-NFC-singing/calling birds as local that you detect, whether by ear or by
automated detection)! Not that any of you wouldn't do that . . . Furthermore,
we strongly recommend that you enter hourly or sub-hourly counts and that any
counts entered between civil and astronomical twilight be entered separately.
We amended the current protocol to reflect these changes and requests:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/about/nfc-count-protocol.

As with the previous posting of the protocol, please contact me with questions
(and/or the list if NFC relevant). The original logic behind astronomical
twilight was to separate as truly nocturnal any flight calls that were
reported, basically eliminating the potential confusion associated with other
crepuscular activity, increasing numbers of local species calling, and so on.
As I said above, it's likely a topic for non-NFC list discussion as it departs
into another realm of discussions, although I am happy to continue the
discussion here, or privately, or offline to be summarized for the list later!

Hopefully this provides more clarity on some of the issues. And again, thank
you (all) for raising this issue/set of issues! If we've not yet made it clear,
we are eager for all in the NFC community to be involved and for those not in
the community to join!

Good nocturnal birding!

Andrew (on behalf of teams BirdCast and eBird)

 <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NFC_WELCOME> Welcome and Basics

 <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NFC_RULES> Rules and Information

 <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NFC-L_SubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>
Subscribe, Configuration and Leave