Interesting stuff.  Jeff Wells recently published an article on Pine Siskin
NFCs recorded in Maine -- I believe he is on this list and may want to comment.
So these are now well documented and perhaps not that unexpected.

The Phoebe doesn't surprise me either, as I have pretty regularly heard
Empidonax flycatchers (Least, Alder, Willow), as well as Eastern Wood-Pewees in
full song flying over at night later in spring, so why not a phoebe?

KEN

Ken Rosenberg
Conservation Science Program
Cornell Lab of Ornithology
607-254-2412
607-342-4594 (cell)
k...@cornell.edu<mailto:k...@cornell.edu>

On Apr 2, 2014, at 10:28 PM, Andy Martin
<apmart...@gmail.com<mailto:apmart...@gmail.com>>
 wrote:

Wanted to say "NFCs detected" instead of "calls detected" in subject line but
that may not be quite accurate. Last night (with southerly winds blowing for
first time since middle of month), I picked up a Pine Siskin's "zreeeee" call
around 1 AM and 9 minutes later recorded a possible Pine Siskin "waaaeee" call.
Assume it was passing over but not sure. There has been no Pine Siskin
irruption down the east coast of US this year but if one was gonna stop at my
feeders on way back north, this would be the time of year I would expect one.
From Evan's and O'Brien Flight Call CD, get the impression 1 AM would be little
early in night to pick up a siskin passing overhead.

Likewise, around 2:28 AM, recorded an Eastern Phoebe singing. Sounds like its
possibly in flight, with calls coming nearer and than moving off. Hard to tell
for sure. There was an Eastern Phoebe singing from trees in my backyard around
6 PM eastern time today. Again, referencing Evans and O'Brien, not much support
for Eastern Phoebe singing in flight.

NFC recording sure does produce a lot of mysteries.

if interested, attached the Pine Siskin "zreeeee" call and Eastern Phoebe
singing recordings below.

Andy Martin
Gaithersburg, MD
Subscribe, Configuration and
Leave<http://www.northeastbirding.com/NFC-L_SubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>
Archives:
The Mail Archive<http://www.mail-archive.com/nfc-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html>
Surfbirds<http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NFC-L>
<Eastern PhoebeMY(040214, 228AM).mp3><Pine SiskinMY(040214, 1AM).mp3>

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/nfc-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NFC-L