Hi

They sound more like white-fronts to me

Gary

From: bounce-2809245-56897...@mm.list.cornell.edu
<bounce-2809245-56897...@mm.list.cornell.edu> On Behalf Of Wim van Dam
Sent: 03 October 2019 06:54
To: Night Flight Call Discussions <nfc-l@mm.list.cornell.edu>
Subject: [nfc-l] Canada/Cackling Goose ID request, Solvang, CA (USA)

Last Saturday night (2019-09-28, at about 1AM) I recorded several flocks of
geese flying over my backyard in Solvang, California (USA). I would expect
these to be Canada Goose, but they don't sound right for that (too high, no
honking). So now I'm wondering if these are in fact Cackling Goose, which would
be interesting given the size of the flock. Here is my best recording:

https://www.xeno-canto.org/500506<https://www.xeno-canto.org/500506>

Does anybody have any suggestions what these are, and why? Probably (hopefully)
we have to get to the subspecies level to sort this out. The original .WAV file
is 7MB and I'll be happy to email it to those interested.

Thanks

Wim van Dam
Solvang, CA (USA)
Subscribe, Configuration and
Leave<http://www.northeastbirding.com/NFC-L_SubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>
Archives:
The Mail Archive<http://www.mail-archive.com/nfc-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html>
Surfbirds<http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NFC-L>
Birding.ABA.Org<http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NFC>

Please consider biodiversity and the environment before deciding whether to
print this message and any attachments.
The content of this e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received
this communication in error, be aware that forwarding it, copying it, or in any
way disclosing its content to any other person, is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please
notify the author by replying to this e-mail immediately.
The BirdLife International Partnership is a Partnership of over 110
conservation organizations around the world. BirdLife International
the Secretariat to the Partnership is a UK registered company no. 2985746,
registered Charity no. 1042125, registered address: David Attenborough Building,
Pembroke Street, Cambridge, CB2 3QZ, UK. BirdLife International Secretariat
Regional Offices: Amman, Brussels, Nairobi, Quito, Suva, Singapore, Tokyo.

Welcome and Basics � http://www.northeastbirding.com/NFC_WELCOME
Rules and Information � http://www.northeastbirding.com/NFC_RULES

Please submit your observations to eBird! ��http://ebird.org/content/ebird/