Christopher,
Based on your signature location and the current wind pattern:
https://earth.nullschool.net/#2020/09/18/0300Z/wind/isobaric/850hPa/orthographic=-77.30,42.81,960/loc=-76.383,42.485

You should be seeing this likely through the night with numbers getting
less as the night goes on but plenty of migrants. I have an article coming
out in the Fall North American Birds about why this is the case.

For the short and sweet, looking at the right altitude for migration, the
winds are the right direction for fall migrants into your area, the origin
is quite distant from you, and there is a frontal passage at right this
time getting you some extra convergence of birds in your area. The larger
scale pattern shows that there may be better places than where you are in
terms of large scale convergence, but your pattern is pretty damn good for
migrants.

If you have questions, ask. I am happy to talk more about this.

Bryan Guarente
Meteorologist/Instructional Designer
The COMET Program
Boulder, CO

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 11:21 PM Christopher T. Tessaglia-Hymes <
c...@cornell.edu> wrote:

> Posted the following to the NFC Facebook group just now and thought I
> would share here:
>

> I’ve been listening live in Etna, NY tonight since 10:30pm. This has been
> an epic migration night here and one of the more constantly vocal in recent
> memory. Literally thousands and thousands of calls. Nearly constant calls of
>
> warblers, thrushes, (and tanagers?), grosbeaks, occasional sparrows, all
> stepping upon one another. First regular groups of Gray-cheeked Thrushes
> late tonight. One Black-billed Cuckoo.
>
> Only just now was there a notable gap of some 10-20 seconds without a
> call, as a group of coyotes started yipping and whooping.
>

> Most impressive night to be listening prior to this first calm. It will be
> interesting to try to run these data through Vesper (I am recording to file
> sequence using Raven Pro; plus recording the full night with my Swift
> recorder
>
> and Flowrabola microphone.)
>

> Good night-listening!
>

> Sincerely,