Hi G33Ks,

@HINDUSTAN TIMES
About a quarter-million computer users around the world are at risk of
losing Internet access on Monday because of malicious software at the heart
of a hacking scam that US authorities shut down last November.
Some blogs and news reports hyped the risk of an outage, warning of a
potential "blackout" and describing the Alureon malware as the "Internet
Doomsday" virus.

Yet experts said only a tiny fraction of computer users were at risk, and
Internet providers would be on call to quickly restore service. They said
they considered the threat to be small compared with more-prevalent viruses
such as Zeus and SpyEye, which infect millions of PCs and are used to
commit financial fraud.

As of this week, about 245,000 computers worldwide were still infected by
Alureon and its brethren, according to security firm Deteque. That included
45,355 computers in the United States.

The viruses were designed to redirect Internet traffic through rogue DNS
servers controlled by criminals, according to the FBI. DNS servers are
computer switchboards that direct Web traffic.

When authorities took down the rogue servers, a federal judge in New York
ordered that temporary servers be kept in place while the victims' machines
were repaired. The temporary servers will shut down at 12:01 am EDT (0401
GMT) on Monday, which means the infected PCs that have not been fixed will
no longer be able to connect to the Internet.

Some US Internet providers, including AT&T Inc (TN) and Time Warner Cable
(TWC N), have made temporary arrangements so that their customers will be
able to access the Internet using the address of the rogue DNS servers.

Information on how to identify and clean up infections can be found on a
website that a group of security firms and other experts set up:
www.dcwg.org.

"It's a very easy one to fix," said Gunter Ollmann, vice president of
research for security company Damballa. "There are plenty of tools
available."

Many of the machines that remain infected are probably not in active use
since most victims were notified of the problem, said security expert
Johannes Ullrich, who runs the Internet Storm Center, which monitors Web
threats.

The United States has charged seven people for orchestrating the worldwide
Internet fraud. Six were arrested in Estonia, while the seventh, who was
living in Russia, is still at large. Tallinn has so far extradited two of
the men to New York where they appeared in Manhattan federal court.


Cheers,

0xN41K

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"nforceit" group.
To post to this group, send an email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nforceit?hl=en-GB.

Reply via email to