> The problem is that the sub-FSAL interface was never intended to be a
> general interface.  It was added specifically to allow certain features to be
> added to panfs, so it only has the entrypoints needed for that work.
> Realistically, if I were implementing it now, I'd use a stacked FSAL, but at
> the
> time that wasn't possible.
>
> If you're working on a FSAL that's a slight variation on VFS, you might
> consider
> a stacked FSAL instead.

Yea, I think I'd like to see future work here use the stacked FSAL mechanism.
I'm curious how FSAL_ZFS would look as a stacked FSAL (it never even made it to
sub-FSAL status). On the other hand, that maybe produces more code duplication
than the current implementation of FSAL_ZFS...

What might be good to do is actually lay out where a new variant of FSAL_VFS
has to be different and determine the best way to implement that with the
smallest amount of code duplication.

Frank