--On April 24, 2014 at 10:26:07 PM +0400 Maxim Dounin <mdou...@mdounin.ru> wrote:

Yes, that is true, but why only implement a partial solution?  With CGN,
only logging the IP is fairly useless in all cases.  To truly get useful
information going forward, the IP + PORT of the client should logged in
all cases.

Access log certainly can be configured to provide enough
enformation to match any given error log message to a port if
needed.  There is no need to implement anything, solution is
already here.

The error log currently only provides the IP. While I'm guessing you could do things like correlate timestamps, it's still going to be a pain. Having the port readily available everywhere makes tracking a specific user much easier to do.

And, by asking about "why implement a partical solution" you are
overlooking the fact that proposed solution is partial as well -
it doesn't change c->addr_text to ensure proper logging in all
places (this would be a bad idea for other reasons, but it's
another question), but rather tries to hack on the http error
logging code to introduce remote port logging.  This is far from
being a complete solution.

I'm certainly willing to address any deficiencies, but I'd want to make sure it would follow whatever you want in the product before investing more time on it. ;) For now it meets the needs of our customer in Belgium who has to start dealing with the legal requirements of client port logging sooner than later.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Server Architect