> Well, this php-engine is built into apache itself

Just because apache do have a built in PHP handler such as mod_dso doesn't mean
it's actually used to serve static files ( I can tell you that the php engine
is never hit if you serve static files)

> Anyway, considering only this fact, such a bad apache configuration should
> not be significantly slower than that of nginx?
> Which ones?

Things like avoiding .htaccess, using mpm_event instead of prefork or worker,
will both increase performance and decrease memory usage

> And how exactly can I measure this?

Benchmark
Change config
.... Repeat

> Right now we have a pretty capable dedicated server which costs ca. 40Euro
> per month and is an overkill for our needs.

True - but it's good to know what your stack is capable of doing in case of
capacity planning, and to see whenever you should scale up your infrastructure
- personally I optimize my environments even if I have plenty of resources,
because I like being able to handle unexpected spikes in traffic

> Do you think I should stress a production server?

It's not up to me, or anyone else to decide - we do not know how your
application works, and what it does - some people might be able to benchmark a
server in product, others might not - it's a case by case thing in my opinion.
Just be aware of the consequences by benchmarking/stress testing, such as
increased server load, increased response times and possible downtime in case
you push it too hard.

I've personally done it plenty of times, but I do it in a controlled way and
I'm fully aware of what can possibly go wrong.

Best Regards,