On 02/28/2018 10:41 PM, Aziz Rozyev wrote:
Without fsyncing file's data and metadata a client will receive a positive
reply before data has reached the storage, thus leaving non-zero probability
that states of two systems involved into a web transaction end up inconsistent.

I understand why one may need consistency, but doing so with fsyncing is
non-sense.

Here is what man page says in that regard:

fsync()  transfers  ("flushes")  all  modified  in-core data of (i.e., modified
buffer cache pages for) the file referred to by the file descriptor fd to the disk device
(or other permanent
        storage device) so that all changed information can be retrieved even
after the system crashed or was rebooted.  This includes writing through or
flushing a disk cache if present.  The call
        blocks until the device reports that the transfer has completed.  It
also flushes metadata information associated with the file (see stat(2)).

Could you please elaborate what do you mean by calling this a nonsense?
Also I don't understand why you cited the man page. It clearly says this is what ensures that when fsync return, the file will be on stable storage.

What else method do you recommend if somebody wants to get an acknowledgement to the HTTP PUT only after the file is safely stored?