> understand what's going on; nginx says it's working, and php shows the
phpinfo page

Thanks for that.  Reading your comment about the phpinfo page made me
repoint my root to the default html directory root web directory to test for
the phpinfo page and I do not get it.  I checked my sights-available files
in case I had left out a comment or had commented out a critical item but it
appeared ok.  I checked the syntax with sudo “nginx -t” and it was ok. So
what could I have broke while creating the virtual hosts that would have
stopped php and how can I restart it?

Posted at Nginx Forum:
https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,285209,285264#msg-285264