On 2/12/2020 12:44 π.μ., Reinis Rozitis wrote:

Or even better is to use unix sockets so you can avoid the tcp stack between
nginx and php-fpm at all.

Thank you very much for your analysis and advice. You found the cause of the issue!

I have managed to switch to connection via unix socket and the issue has gone!

I guess I could have also used (in php-fpm) the directive:

   listen=9001 (which should bind to all interfaces)

rather than:

   listen = 127.0.0.1:9001 (which was earlier used)

but I decided to follow your advice and connect via a unix socket.

I appreciate your time and eagerness to help!

Thanks again,
Nick