A user recently asked about the feasibility of adding a two tailed
Fisher's exact test to NSP. Right now we support a left and right sided
Fisher's test.

This turns out to be a fairly simple thing to, and we'll likely include
that in the next version which is tentatively scheduled for release in mid
December.

Just a bit of quick review - Fisher's test is based on summing the
probablity of some set of possible 2x2 tables given that the marginal
counts of the observed 2x2 table are fixed. The left sided, right sided,
and two sided version of the test do that summing in slightly different
ways.

The left sided test (leftFisher) is based on  adding the probabilities
of all the possible 2x2 contingency tables that have n11 values less than
or equal to that of the observed value. In effect this tells us how
likely it is to sample an observation where the two words represented
in the bigram are less dependent/related than the currently observed value.

The right sided test (rightFisher) does  something similar in that it
sums all the probabilities of the 2x2 contintency tables that have n11
values greater than or equal to what is currently observed. This tells us
how likely it would be to sample an observation where the two words are
more dependent than currently observed.

Now, the two tailed test takes the sum of the probabilities of all the
possible 2x2 tables that are less than the probability of the observed
data. This tells us, I think, how likely it is to sample a bigram that is
"more extreme" than what is currently observed. I am not sure how this
should be interpreted in terms of finding collocations, but it's an
interesting and useful test in general, and maybe there are some nice
things that can be done with it.

In any case, it strikes me as a minor modification to make this work, so
we'll plan on including this in the next release.

Questions or comments are of course welcome!

Thanks,
Ted

--
Ted Pedersen