Ted Pedersen
http://www.d.umn.edu/~tpederse

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 10:34:03 -0800
From: Jonathan Leffler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], Bugs in CPANPLUS via RT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Problem with CPANPLUS 0.076 misidentifying versions after
    installing Text::NSP 1.03

Dear Ted and CPANPLUS Maintenance team,

I installed Text::NSP v1.03 without any problems, but after that,
CPANPLUS complains that Text::NSP::Measures is out of date because the
installed version is 0.01 and not the 0.97 that is recorded on CPAN.

Looking at the Measures.pm file, it appears that the trouble is because
the POD precedes the code (specifically, it precedes the code that
defines the version of Measures.pm), and CPANPLUS is not noticing that
the VERSION code it is looking at is in POD and not in code.

I'm reporting that as a bug to the CPANPLUS team, Ted, but there's also
an easy fix for Measures.pm, namely to move the code that defines the
version of Measures.pm up to near the front of the module.  (I added an
'=cut' line before '=head1 DESCRIPTION' and moved 6 paragraphs of code
defining the package and its version up the file - the problem no longer
occurs (CPANPLUS does not complain that T::NSP::M is at version 0.01).

For the CPANPLUS team - I'm using:

CPANPLUS::Shell::Default -- CPAN e[...] (v0.076)
*** Using CPANPLUS::Backend v0.076.  ReadLine support enabled.

This is with Perl 5.8.8 on MacOS X 10.4.8.  I'll supply 'perl -V' output
if you need it.

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]