Hi Cyrus,

There's nothing wrong with your formulation, although I would refer to
what you describe as Pointwise Mutual Information (PMI), since it
seems like it would only compute the probability of observing A B C D
all together and separately, and not include probabilities of A (not
B) C D, and so forth. If you were doing that, then you'd be more in
the realm of Mutual Information (or tmi as we call it).

Note that NSP does include a 3d version of PMI that essentially
follows your definition.

http://search.cpan.org/dist/Text-NSP/lib/Text/NSP/Measures/3D/MI/pmi.pm

Extending to 4-d would not be difficult.

If on the other hand you would like to do Mutual Information, remember
that only differs from the Log Likelihood Ratio by a constant term, so
you could use our 4-d ll measure for that...

http://search.cpan.org/dist/Text-NSP/lib/Text/NSP/Measures/4D/MI/ll.pm

Also, some of the background for these trigram and 4gram measures is
described in Bridget McInnes' MS thesis...

Extending the Log-Likelihood Ratio to Improve Collocation
Identification (McInnes) - Master of Science Thesis, Department of
Computer Science, University of Minnesota, Duluth, December, 2004.
http://www.d.umn.edu/~tpederse/Pubs/bridget-thesis.pdf

There are some additional subtleties when you move beyond bigrams, and
that's because rather than simply comparing the occurance of an ngram
to the model of independence (ie P(A,B)/P(A)(B)) you have the option
of comparing to other models (ie P(A,B,C)/P(A,B)P(C)) This becomes
it's own big complicated issue which I won't go into much here, but it
does open up a lot of interesting possibilities for longer ngrams that
you don't have with bigrams. Some of this is discussed in more detail
in Bridget's thesis.

I hope this helps, and please do let us know if you have any
additional questions, observations or ideas.

Good luck,
Ted

--
Ted Pedersen