This is not only a matter of sufficiently recent .Net Framework, but also a
matter of sufficiently recent IDE, as discussed here
<https://github.com/nhibernate/NHibernate.Mapping.Attributes/pull/12#issuecomment-374561506>
.

Referencing a .Net Standard assembly requires switching to
"PackageReferences" instead of using old "package.config" system. Recent
versions of the .Net Framework are usable in old versions of Visual Studio,
and many companies take quite some time to update their tooling (especially
if they choose to have "perpetual licences" and so have to pay new ones for
upgrading). VS 2013 end of support is in 2024 by example. Yes it cannot use
C#6/7 features we are using in NHibernate code, but that does not prevent
referencing and using the generated assembly.

--

---