In case anyone runs into this issue - I was using the configuration for
testing and in seeding data for testing I needed to Evict the entity since
it was being tracked by the current session.  Once I did this I could see
NHibernate reach back to the server in order to retrieve
collections/properties that we're not eagerly loaded.

tx.Commit();
_session.Flush();
_session.Evict(partner);