Hey Dennis I have determined my prob. is the starter generator chain it broke.I 
am having trouble finding a replacement,do you have any suggestions on where to 
get one or can I take it to a mach.shop to be repaired or can I have a chain 
made-?
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Dennis Hammerl 
  To: [email protected] 
  Sent: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 11:07 PM
  Subject: Re: [Nighthawk Lovers] starter


        Never thought of it before. I just use the "one way it locks up, the 
other way it doesn't" method. You have the clutch cover off ? 
        Reg / rectifier ? There is a chart for checking one in the OEM manual 
but it is about useless. You can check from yellow to yellow to yellow and 
black to white and all to ground if that's your only option now. I prefer to do 
it running. I just check the output with a n ammeter. Very easy to determine 
how well it works. Tell me what you want to do and I try to walk you through. 
Best if you can get an ammeter that has a range of 10A and reads both ways. Try 
to borrow one. That's the best check (IMHO)

        --- On Tue, 12/1/09, Carter Mattingly <[email protected]> wrote:


          From: Carter Mattingly <[email protected]>
          Subject: Re: [Nighthawk Lovers] starter
          To: [email protected]
          Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2009, 10:44 PM


          Hey Dennis I'm trying to track down my starter prob.can you tell me 
which way the alternator should turn when I bump the starter- with the cover on 
the othe side of the engine off-? also how can I tell if my regulator/rectifer 
is bad or damaged-?
            ----- Original Message----
            From: Carter Mattingly 
            To: [email protected] 
            Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2009 8:35 PM
            Subject: Re: [Nighthawk Lovers] starter


            Hey Dennis thanks again for your advise,I think you were also the 
one who sent me a message on where to find decals you are a great service to 
the nighthawk lovers,I wish you were here. I have not had a chance to get back 
after it yet, shooting for thanksgiving holidays...Its been running,oil is 
correct shouldn't be any rust.I pulled the starter and held it to the engine 
for a ground, the starter spins the crankshaft does not. I had started it just 
before the the prob. showed up, it died I pushed the starter button again and 
it just spun. I have been restoring this bike for the last 2 years and was just 
about to get it legal, I am not going to give up on this bike it only has 3200 
miles on it,it sat covered in a home garage for 20 years I bought it 11/07 the 
owner before me put les than 20 miles on it (thats a story for a later day) I 
have been riding it around my nieborhood and have put around 50 miles on it. I 
will try your suggestions and get back to you again thanks for your advise. I 
live in Dallas so I have many good days to work on it and some day ride it 
again...There is a sweet looking 84 700 nighthawk on ebay for 1200.right I'm 
tempted but I believe mine is better...
              ----- Original Message ----- 
              From: Dennis Hammerl 
              To: [email protected] 
              Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2009 8:03 PM
              Subject: Re: [Nighthawk Lovers] starter


                    I can't answer your question any more than that. Try to 
answer mine. If it worked recently, why not now ? It only takes a small effort 
to engage the starter clutch, even an almost dead battery will engage it. To 
have one that does not, is more than rare. If I wrote a list of the top one 
hundred things that go wrong with one of those, the starter clutch wouldn't be 
on it. Maybe now you can see that it's either a catastrophic problem or 
something stupid. Let's find out which one it is. 
                    I will repeat to you what I think you said first. Your 
starter motor works (spins, makes nice whirring noise) but the engine 
(crankshaft) does not turn ?  OR; is it that it does not start ? 
                    If you think I'm being smart with you, try to get a grasp 
on this... "it won't go" What's that mean ? The customer knows but he can't 
tell you, he already did "it won't go" Like in the chain broke ? It won't start 
? It stalls ? He knocked out the transmission ? I have to listen to this every 
day. When I understand what is wrong, we proceed. More than one person on this 
site has given a failure description that got a wrong answer. A clear 
understanding of a problem gets an answer. I'm not going to take the blame for 
somebody going through hell and back because I got it wrong. I have to 
interpret a customer's complaint so that a tech can do his job in an efficient 
manner. My techs depend on me to get them off to a good start on every job. I'd 
like to do the same for people here.   

                    --- On Sat, 11/21/09, Carter Mattingly <[email protected]> 
wrote:


                      From: Carter Mattingly <[email protected]>
                      Subject: Re: [Nighthawk Lovers] starter
                      To: [email protected]
                      Date: Saturday, November 21, 2009, 7:32 PM


                      Thanks Dennis I will move forward with your advise...
                        ----- Original Message ----- 
                        From: Dennis Hammerl 
                        To: [email protected] 
                        Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2009 1:08 PM
                        Subject: Re: [Nighthawk Lovers] starter


                              Even after years at my dealers, I've yet to have 
to repair / replace a starter clutch on a 550/650/700 SC. Your description is 
of one that failed. They are located deep within... Remove engine, disassemble, 
etc. Now let's slow down a bit. Since they are almost indestructible, what 
happened to yours ? The most often repaired ones are in VT Hondas. They can 
crack open and fail. A CB-SC is not likely to do this. Has this bike been in 
use as of late ? What weight oil is in it ? Heavy oil can stop them from 
working. Was it allowed to sit for an extended time without oil in it ? If it 
rusted, then the rollers are frozen in place. 
                              Lastly, do you have a repair manual ? Get 
familiar with how the starter clutch works. It is a one-way roller device. 
Turning it backwards, it will not engage. Does the starter motor run in reverse 
? >>> see below<<< 
                              One last freaky item since I would hate to see 
somebody go through a ton of hard work to find something stupid.  Did you 
recharge the battery or replace it recently ? A battery can be charged in 
reverse (yes it can ! From a completely dead condition) This would cause damage 
to the regulator / rectifier and cause the starter to turn backwards. The 
starter clutch will not work in reverse. I'm not there to see this and have to 
take your word that this is this and that is that. In a serious matter like 
this, be careful, be complete. If you really have a starter clutch issue be 
prepared for a long winter of work. Eliminate any possibility of anything else. 

                              --- On Sat, 11/21/09, Carter Mattingly 
<[email protected]> wrote:


                                From: Carter Mattingly <[email protected]>
                                Subject: Re: [Nighthawk Lovers] starter
                                To: [email protected]
                                Cc: [email protected]
                                Date: Saturday, November 21, 2009, 12:46 AM


                                Can you tell me what needs to be done to fix 
the prob.-???
                                ----- Original Message ----- 
                                From: Dennis Hammerl 
                                To: [email protected] 
                                Sent: Friday, November 20, 2009 9:56 PM
                                Subject: Re: [Nighthawk Lovers] starter


                                Starter clutch.... bend over, grab your ankles. 

                                --- On Fri, 11/20/09, Carter Mattingly 
<[email protected]> wrote:


                                From: Carter Mattingly <[email protected]>
                                Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] starter
                                To: [email protected]
                                Cc: [email protected]
                                Date: Friday, November 20, 2009, 9:56 PM


                                Hey nighthawl lovers I need help I have a 1984 
CB700SC Nighthawk and the starter spins the alternator shaft but not the 
crank,does anyone know what that might be-???

                                --

                                You received this message because you are 
subscribed to the Google Groups "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
                                To post to this group, send email to 
[email protected].
                                To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
                                For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=.
                                 



                                --

                                You received this message because you are 
subscribed to the Google Groups "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
                                To post to this group, send email to 
[email protected].
                                To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
                                For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=.


                                --

                                You received this message because you are 
subscribed to the Google Groups "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
                                To post to this group, send email to 
[email protected].
                                To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
                                For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=.
                             



                        --

                        You received this message because you are subscribed to 
the Google Groups "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
                        To post to this group, send email to 
[email protected].
                        To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
                        For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=.


                      --

                      You received this message because you are subscribed to 
the Google Groups "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
                      To post to this group, send email to 
[email protected].
                      To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
                      For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=.
                   



              --

              You received this message because you are subscribed to the 
Google Groups "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
              To post to this group, send email to 
[email protected].
              To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
              For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=.


            --

            You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google 
Groups "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
            To post to this group, send email to 
[email protected].
            To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
            For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=.


          --

          You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google 
Groups "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
          To post to this group, send email to 
[email protected].
          To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
          For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
       



  --

  You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
  To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
  To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
  For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.

Reply via email to