Since that was a pretty vague description other than "this is the next best
thing", I would need some questions answered ...
The most obvious to me - This really looks like a device that would only be
really good in a narrow RPM range, therefore necessitating a transmission.

Airplanes and helicopters work in a narrow RPM range (as do diesels), but they
can adjust the prop angle, essentially changing (a phrase i'm about to make up)
the "lift ratio" just like a transmission (or so I understand, correct me if
I'm wrong).

With the improvements in battery tech as of late, a really efficient generator
would be the perfect compliment for hybrid vehicles and the like; so the future
remains to be seen...

 - JO