That was fun!

I got the Hawk out of storage yesterday, thinking it was a quick checklist -
install battery, check fluids & tire pressure, ride home and change oil. But
the darn thing wouldn't start! Gar! I was all flustered and ended up having to
trailer it back home (after pushing it 1/4 mile back to the barn (storage).

I had fabbed up new battery cables last year to solve the corrosion issue, but
the battery I put in this year had the terminals reversed and my new cables
wouldn't reach (mistake #1 - put on known bad cables).

I fixed the cable issue, and now it would start, but only run on cylinders #1
and 2. I spend all afternoon/evening yesterday & today tearing the bike down to
replace the airbox ('new' used airbox thanks to Bob!) with one that wasn't
split open, and to try and figure out what was going on. I tried switching plug
wires to see if the problem would move, but it didn't. I tried swapping plugs
between cylinders, but the problem didn't move. I knew it was a spark issue
because I could hit 3&4 with starter fluid and it wouldn't change the RPM, but
I was confused because it was sparking on those two cylinders...

To make a long story boring, when I fogged the engine last year, I switched 3&4
plug wires around. It only took me 5+ hours to figure it out.

I knew right away that I got it when I corrected mistake #2 when it roared to
life as soon as I hit the button. I was able to go for a quick 5 mile ride
tonight.

I wish I would have checked the easy stuff first!

:)