Thanks for the tip. My valve cover will go back on tonight. I took it off
and polished it while chasing down my oil leak (write-up and pics to come,
and also pics of the backrest mounts; I haven't forgotten...).
I used a miniature wire wheel while holding a vacuum right next to it to
clean the old gasket.